Ich treatment questions

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am a week into ich treatment for my tangs. The main one who is sick is the Achilles tang. I have been ramping up Copper Power over the last week. I stayed at 2.0 ppm for about 2 days but still saw ich on Achilles. I am up to 2.5 ppm for last couple days and still see some ich on the Achilles. I understand 14 days of treatment clock doesn’t start until all ich is gone.

Should I stay at 2.5 ppm and wait for ich to fall off the fish or should I be doing anything else to speed up the process. Generally speaking how quick does ich fall off with copper power?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I am a week into ich treatment for my tangs. The main one who is sick is the Achilles tang. I have been ramping up Copper Power over the last week. I stayed at 2.0 ppm for about 2 days but still saw ich on Achilles. I am up to 2.5 ppm for last couple days and still see some ich on the Achilles. I understand 14 days of treatment clock doesn’t start until all ich is gone.

Should I stay at 2.5 ppm and wait for ich to fall off the fish or should I be doing anything else to speed up the process. Generally speaking how quick does ich fall off with copper power?
Biggest problem is you cant and shouldnt have ramped it but rather go right to the therapuetic level within 12- 18 hours. In essence you never started the treatment cycle but rather gave it a cleanse in terms of speaking. Now that you have achieved the proper level, the cycle for treatment now begins. With the now therapuetic level at 2.25-2.5 monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand, not Api , also monitor ammonia level with a reliable test kit during treatment and would not be a bad idea to add an air stone for added oxygen during treatment
You will also need to leave display tank FishLess (Fallow) for at least 6-8 weeks to assure the cysts and trophants have completed their life cycle without a host and have died off

Last edited:

CoffBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How is the treatment going? I just got an achilles a week ago and he is now showing signs of ich so I am looking to start copper treatment ASAP.

I am planning on using Copper Power but I am curious which product you chose and how it has turned out.

OP
OP
O

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the treatment going? I just got an achilles a week ago and he is now showing signs of ich so I am looking to start copper treatment ASAP.

I am planning on using Copper Power but I am curious which product you chose and how it has turned out.

I found Copper Power difficult mainly because I only had a 20 gallon to quarantine in. Ammonia and it’s toxicity was the issue. I ended up losing the Achilles and was extremely upset to see that. I debated if I should ever have QT’ed in the first place.

I still believe in QT but after fallow is complete I will utilize only TTM. Otherwise need to make sure you have a large enough QT system where ammonia doesn’t become such an issue.

Hope you have better luck

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found Copper Power difficult mainly because I only had a 20 gallon to quarantine in. Ammonia and it’s toxicity was the issue. I ended up losing the Achilles and was extremely upset to see that. I debated if I should ever have QT’ed in the first place.

I still believe in QT but after fallow is complete I will utilize only TTM. Otherwise need to make sure you have a large enough QT system where ammonia doesn’t become such an issue.

Hope you have better luck
Sorry to hear. Achilles are of course prone to ich, but they are also delicate in other regards. In fact, I avoid acquiring them - not work the effort IMO: they need a large QT with good water flow and then Coppersafe at 2.5 ppm right away to try and keep them ich free. I also feel there is a distinct size slot for these that do best: 3” to 4”. Smaller ones are more delicate and larger ones don’t ship well.
Jay

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back