Ich/velvet blue kole tang quarantine

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong but I feel that may be velvet, especially swimming at the surface like that, it's horrible and a horrible feeling, honestly it's easier to just QT everything, feeling ya pain and sorry for your loss honestly I went through all this and I can't stress enough, QT don't take the risk because when it bites it bites hard :( and it's actually not that hard, just got to be patient @Jay Hemdal and @Humblefish have some good info for disease and QT. I personally like copper sulphate myself and its super easy, copper hanna checker will make your life easier as well

Happy reefing and good luck moving forward

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are you referring to treating the two remaining fish in a qt tank? Or the display tank? I’ve been weary of medicating my display tank due to the corals and inverts that will remain in the tank.
In quarantine and allow display to remain fallow for at least 6 weeks

OP
OP
alexkowalik

alexkowalik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong but I feel that may be velvet, especially swimming at the surface like that, it's horrible and a horrible feeling, honestly it's easier to just QT everything, feeling ya pain and sorry for your loss honestly I went through all this and I can't stress enough, QT don't take the risk because when it bites it bites hard :( and it's actually not that hard, just got to be patient @Jay Hemdal and @Humblefish have some good info for disease and QT. I personally like copper sulphate myself and its super easy, copper hanna checker will make your life easier as well

Happy reefing and good luck moving forward
Thank you so much! I agree that it’s more than likely velvet, the white spots that appeared and rapid sudden deaths makes me believe that velvet was the culprit. I am absolutely going to QT from now on everything I plan to put in the tank, even my freshwater guys. I’ve been lucky the past 10+ years and have never had a problem but this time my luck ran out.. I do have some copper on hand now as well as a Hannah checker and a shelf full of medications. I’ve always had luck treating a sick fish once it’s sick instead of as a preventative treatment but this velvet was a whole new level of sick. By the time I found out how to properly treat and set up the hospital tank, they were goners. It’s a sad learning experience but I’m not letting it discourage me. Now I just need to catch the last two remaining fish so I can do a 76 day fallow period to hopefully kill off the remaining velvet parasites.

OP
OP
alexkowalik

alexkowalik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In quarantine and allow display to remain fallow for at least 6 weeks
Ok that’s what I thought you meant. Thank you so much for the advice! Now I’m not entirely sure if I have the medication you mentioned however I do have copper (seachem cupramine.) would that be a good medication for the last two fish going into qt? I was also planing on getting copper power as I’ve heard it’s more gentle on the fish. What would you recommend for a qt medication?

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that’s what I thought you meant. Thank you so much for the advice! Now I’m not entirely sure if I have the medication you mentioned however I do have copper (seachem cupramine.) would that be a good medication for the last two fish going into qt? I was also planing on getting copper power as I’ve heard it’s more gentle on the fish. What would you recommend for a qt medication?
This one's a really good question for the experts, hopefully one will give some feedback :)

I don't have experience with cupramine or copper power, but hear good things. Depending if the fish are showing signs you could slowly ramp up the copper levels until Reaching desired levels

If you don't have coral you maybe able to ramp up temp to reduce the fallow time, again check @Jay Hemdal threads/post he gives good info

So far with copper sulphate no losses

Cleaner wrasse
Banana wrasse
6 line wrasse
4x Anthias
4x Chromis
Rabbitfish
Scopas tang
Purple tang
Blue tang
Ringtail

Edit(oh and they all ate during QT and there all on pellets! Cleaner wrasse will even eat nori sheets, not sure if that's normal, but he has gotten fat

Goodluck buddy, it's a great hobby and some times it's hard to learn with so many different ways and opinions. But once you figure out what works for you and it works, just roll with it :) you'll get better and better it becomes second nature. Seriously goodluck and glad your not giving up :)

OP
OP
alexkowalik

alexkowalik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one's a really good question for the experts, hopefully one will give some feedback :)

I don't have experience with cupramine or copper power, but hear good things. Depending if the fish are showing signs you could slowly ramp up the copper levels until Reaching desired levels

If you don't have coral you maybe able to ramp up temp to reduce the fallow time, again check @Jay Hemdal threads/post he gives goof info

So far with copper sulphate no losses

Cleaner wrasse
Banana wrasse
6 line wrasse
4x Anthias
4x Chromis
Rabbitfish
Scopas tang
Purple tang
Blue tang
Ringtail

Goodluck buddy, it's a great hobby and some times it's hard to learn with so many different ways and opinions. But once you figure out what works for you and it works, just roll with it :) you'll get better and better it becomes second nature. Seriously goodluck and glad your not giving up :)
Thanks bud! It absolutely is a wonderful hobby. All my life I’ve had aquariums but this last couple years I’ve ventured into reef keeping and it’s totally changed my passion into much more than just keeping fish in a glass box. I do have many corals and inverts so there’s always something new to learn! Good luck with your tanks as well! Thank you for the warm regards!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Coppersafe is my first choice but when it comes to velvet, just be sure medication states- treats Oodinum

OP
OP
alexkowalik

alexkowalik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe is my first choice but when it comes to velvet, just be sure medication states- treats Oodinum
Ok perfect, I will check on that before I treat them. Thank you again for the advice! I will post back after I get through this fallow period and give an update. Hopefully all works as planned. Here’s a shot of the tank currently if anyone was curious about the display tank.

Attachments

• D43F4C77-559C-4BF7-B56F-CAFF82EE8FD4.jpeg
    D43F4C77-559C-4BF7-B56F-CAFF82EE8FD4.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 30

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok perfect, I will check on that before I treat them. Thank you again for the advice! I will post back after I get through this fallow period and give an update. Hopefully all works as planned. Here’s a shot of the tank currently if anyone was curious about the display tank.
Tank looks good. Let that fallow period do it’s thing. The last week of Fallow, increase temperature to 81 deg and then gradually bring back down to assure any trophants had a miserable stay

OP
OP
alexkowalik

alexkowalik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So unfortunately it appears the fallow peroid didn’t do what it needed to. This is a few weeks into the newly reopened tank. This time it appears to be ich not velvet or maybe I misdiagnosed the first time, because all fish are eating and appear healthy accept almost all have some amount of white spots on them. My powder blue shows the worst but he’s also the fattest fish in the tank and never flashes or had any strange behavior… I’m stumped on this one..

OP
OP
alexkowalik

alexkowalik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My video appears to not be working so here’s a screenshot of the powder blue tang.

Attachments

• 5F87ADB7-6D7C-4232-96CA-6DF0EBB62F02.jpeg
    5F87ADB7-6D7C-4232-96CA-6DF0EBB62F02.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 22

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back