Ich? Velvet? Help :(

Feiwen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received a call from my wife that my tang was breathing hard and not looking great. I told her to go ahead and put him in the QT tank til I get home. Came home to find him dead in the QT. Now just trying to figure out if this was velvet, ich, or something else. I currently have a Corris wrasse, leopard wrasse, two clowns, and two Mandarins who are all eating and acting fine. Any input would be great
Resized_20220503_105508.jpeg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect crypto/ich based on the photo. Possibly velvet, sometimes picture is water in easier to differentiate.

Edit: Very rapid breathing and quick death might suggest velvet.

Assuming either crypto or velvet, you should move all fish to QT and follow copper protocol described in the sticky.

You will need to keep your DT fallow ( no fish) for 7 - 10 weeks.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, velvet is a quick killer and causes fast breathing, so that is a possibility. By the time the white spots show it’s too late.
Of course ich also has the characteristic white spots.
In either case, copper treatment is the way to go and all fish should be put into qt and treated. Leave the tank fishless for 76 days to be safe.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Received a call from my wife that my tang was breathing hard and not looking great. I told her to go ahead and put him in the QT tank til I get home. Came home to find him dead in the QT. Now just trying to figure out if this was velvet, ich, or something else. I currently have a Corris wrasse, leopard wrasse, two clowns, and two Mandarins who are all eating and acting fine. Any input would be great
Resized_20220503_105508.jpeg
It’s ich. I never advise taking a fish distressed out of wster
Treatment will be in a separate quarantine setting and using coppersafe at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 at 80.5 degrees for a full 39 days and leaving display tank fishless for 45-60 days at 81 degrees
Use a reliable copper test kit to monitor copper levels - api brand not recommended
Increase aeration with an air stone during treatment

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s ich. I never advise taking a fish distressed out of wster
Treatment will be in a separate quarantine setting and using coppersafe at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 at 80.5 degrees for a full 39 days and leaving display tank fishless for 45-60 days at 81 degrees
Use a reliable copper test kit to monitor copper levels - api brand not recommended
Increase aeration with an air stone during treatment
I think the tang died in QT. Sorry about your loss. One thing to think of for the future is - how did you treat this fish when you got it - did you QT him/ how long ago did you put him in, etc? Also - I think someone else mentioned it - but your other fish should be treated in a separate tank - even if they are showing no symptoms.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back