Ich & velvet will only hitchhike on fish?

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I just had a question, so when buying snails and crabs it is best to quarantine for 76 days before introducing them into the display tank?
I had the same question and many of LFS said no need to quarantine CUCs... some suggested Ruby Reef Hydroplex... guess i am the living proof that CUC can carry ich, velvet, fluke and other micro organisms can hitchhike on them.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a link to an article I posted here recently that talks about biosecurity, and how diseases can transfer:

Jay
In your experience, can say CI or velvet be encysted onto 'living' coral tissue - as compared to the dead skeleton? (I mean I suppose anything is possible) - if one happens to land on a small area of dead coral - but it was my impression that living coral would resist encysting protozoans

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your experience, can say CI or velvet be encysted onto 'living' coral tissue - as compared to the dead skeleton? (I mean I suppose anything is possible) - if one happens to land on a small area of dead coral - but it was my impression that living coral would resist encysting protozoans
I think it is more the case of the tomites being in the water that gets moved along with the coral that is probably the issue. I don’t know of anyone who has actually been able to sample this.
Jay

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Experts,

I am going through a velvet disaster and as i was reading multiple forums and articles.. I kept seeing that Ich & velvet parasites will ONLY hosts and hitchhikes on fish and NOT on other organisms like CUC, LR, dead fishes, macro algae, etc? Would like to know why is it so?

Thanks.
Recently bought Halimeda and put them straight into ich-free DT, now I have ich...

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently bought Halimeda and put them straight into ich-free DT, now I have ich...
Hi Ocypode, Your experience just confirmed the fact that anything wet we intro into our tank could have contamination (e.g. bacteria, parasites, larvae, eggs, etc.) which we are introducing into the tank... it doesn't need to be hosted first :(:mad::confused:

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ocypode, Your experience just confirmed the fact that anything wet we intro into our tank could have contamination (e.g. bacteria, parasites, larvae, eggs, etc.) which we are introducing into the tank... it doesn't need to be hosted first :(:mad::confused:
True, especially for ich and velvet, I'm gonna quarantine every single stuff that has a hard surface from now on....

Back