Ich vs something else?

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a new to me 300g peninsula tank. The prior inhabitants were in QT for 30 days and did great. The purple tang did bang his head once and got a bit of an infection there that e-mycin quickly took care of, but no other issues.

Now that they've been in the tank for a month(ish), I'm seeing tiny salt-like dots on my lavender tang and on my purple tang. They are eating like pigs, swimming around, not rubbing themselves on the rocks or sand bed, no ill behaviors, not hiding at all. The dots aren't white, but more clear. Not getting worse over the past couple of days just staying the same. It's hard to see in the photo, but that's the best one I can get.

I am supplementing with vitamins (as directed on the bottle) and providing a variety of fresh dried green, red, and purple algae. I also have been fortifying PE Mysis with selcon.

So, is this ich or something else? Lymphocytosis? The two white dots on the photo aren't actually on the fish... I'm trying to get a better picture.

217788134_860280834907300_6974598746142938607_n.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really see anything in the picture. What were the fish treated with while in quarantine?

With random white spots on a fish - you try to "map them". Make a note of where the spots are on one side of the fish. then, 24 to 36 hours later, check - if the exact same spots are in the same location, it isn't likely ich. If however, the spots disappear and return in new locations, and change in number (either more or less) then it is probably ich. Ich won't make a fish act sick until the infection is pretty well advanced.

Jay

OP
OP
tammieh

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really see anything in the picture. What were the fish treated with while in quarantine?

With random white spots on a fish - you try to "map them". Make a note of where the spots are on one side of the fish. then, 24 to 36 hours later, check - if the exact same spots are in the same location, it isn't likely ich. If however, the spots disappear and return in new locations, and change in number (either more or less) then it is probably ich. Ich won't make a fish act sick until the infection is pretty well advanced.

Jay
No change... not worse, not better. Can't see a change in the spots either.
The fish weren't treated as the prior owner had them 2 years and the whole tank came with them. I just observed them as we got their home reestablished and they were completely fine. Perhaps I should have.... Ugh.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No change... not worse, not better. Can't see a change in the spots either.
The fish weren't treated as the prior owner had them 2 years and the whole tank came with them. I just observed them as we got their home reestablished. Perhaps I should have.... Ugh.
If the same spots are in the same location for 48 hours, it probably isn’t ich. The typical progression of ich is you see a few spots, then they go away, then spots return in different locations and n generally increasing numbers.
Jay

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant see any spots on that PT.
If you have not added anyone and this system is a pre-existing system of two years, the risk of parasite infection is low IMM.
Perhaps they are there and maybe it’s just the pic on my device.

I’d do nothing out of normal but keep an I on what you see.

Back