Ich with no symptoms?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two fish deaths in my RSR 350 over the past few days: first, a juvie lemonpeel angel, and last night, a goldeye (bristletooth) tang. I take about twenty minutes to look over each of my builds each day, and I didn't notice any symptoms -- breathing seemed fine, no flashing, no swimming into the powerhead flow, no spots -- and both were eating well the night before they turned up dead. Ammonia is at 0. This is a fully-cycled tank, up two months, and I used live rock to do it.

The fish were sharing the tank with four other survivors: a blue-headed goby and a frail canary blenny (now in quarantine), and a niger trigger and a juvie flameback angel. I can't find any spots on the fish in the display, and I spent about half an hour looking at the two in the quarantine: the goby's pectoral fins are a little dull, but that's it. The trigger's spent a bit of time with the cleaner shrimp, but isn't reclusive and is its regular gluttonous self at feeding. That's also true of the angel (minus seeking out the cleaner shrimp).

I'm thinking about pulling the two out of the display and dose copper for thirty days even without symptoms, but am worried about stress. The trigger seems like it could survive an atomic bomb, though. Thoughts?

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses. :( I, too, recently lost one (my prized white tail bristletooth tang) with no symptoms whatsoever. The next day, I found ich spots on 3 fish and my royal gramma scratching on everything. I hate ich...this is my 3rd battle with it.

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It's unfortunate, but I hope to keep it out of my other three tanks, all of which have been up for eight months now. I don't share tools between them (I use disposable chopsticks for feeding, and wash and dry thoroughly before reusing), so I'm confident that it's limited to this tank. The trigger and angel are still far too feisty to catch with ease. I think I'll just continue to monitor and then yank them both if they exhibit any symptoms.

At least with this method I can spot feed the goby and the blenny.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back