Ich!!!!!

MandarinGirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After setting up my 75 gallon salt, I let the rock cure and on sunday I added 2 clowns I had this bad feeling in my gut and well what do you know they had ich on tuesday night. I have read the process for curing ich and it is a very long one.This is going to sound really bad but I m going to end up spending like $60 on 2x $25 fish I was wondering if I could just let them die. It sounds really really bad and I curse myself for typing this but what if I did? I would probabley cycle my tank for another month to get rid of the parasite but would it be okay????

drtyjrzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have any coral in the tank you can go the low salinity route, it'll still take about 6-8 weeks but the fish should live.

gobeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish don't automatically die from Ich. Some will be able to fight it off. I've successfully treated with Garlic, Metro, and Focus. 2 weeks with 2 scoops each mixed with food (turn off all flow and let the fish swim through the "cloud") followed by 2 weeks of 1 scoop each. Good Luck!

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With no coral. lower the salt. Run the temp around 80 to 82°. run a carbon filter. DON"T stress the fish. Make it run it's coarse ASAP. My bet is they had ich before you bought them.

You COULD take them back... !! Where did you get them? ;)

I don't know what water temp you run. But this is one reason I run my reef system between 79° & 80°.

George209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put some drops of Garlic juice ( you can make your own, throw some cloves in the blender with water) on their food, let it soak for at least 15 minutes. Feed them a few times a day, this should take care of it, it has worked for me in the past. Garlic is a natural immune booster and natural antibiotic...I even use it myself on a nightly bases (not during day, people will stay away from you), two cloves of garlic cut into small pieces and I pass them down with water. Great immune booster and it controls your blood pressure. Good luck!

OP
OP
M

MandarinGirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so,
I have right now 1 peice of coral that came incrusted on a peice fo rock so I might move that over to the nano and I thought garlic killed your inverts. or was that copper? right now only 1 clown looks bad he is swimming side ways and is covered in spots the other clown has a few tiny spots but they might get worse??
If garlic dosnt kill my inverts I will probabley do that and lower the salinity.
and ebushrow my tank has been cycling for around 1 month. some people would tell me to cycle it for longer but I payed alot of money for it too be shipped via air travel actually soaking in salt water, so the ammonia has been .5 and .25 all month.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After setting up my 75 gallon salt, I let the rock cure and on sunday I added 2 clowns I had this bad feeling in my gut and well what do you know they had ich on tuesday night. I have read the process for curing ich and it is a very long one.This is going to sound really bad but I m going to end up spending like $60 on 2x $25 fish I was wondering if I could just let them die. It sounds really really bad and I curse myself for typing this but what if I did? I would probabley cycle my tank for another month to get rid of the parasite but would it be okay????

Not only does this sound terribly bad, your tank would still have Ich in it and not be suitable for fish, for at least 8 weeks. Without the presence of fish, Ich will die, but it will take 8 weeks. In this same 8 week period, you could QT your fish, treating their Ich AND guarantee an Ich free tank. So, cycling your tank for "another month" will NOT get rid of the parasite.

Please read though this sticky...https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-discussion/56989-ich-discussion-treatment-options.html

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish don't automatically die from Ich. Some will be able to fight it off. I've successfully treated with Garlic, Metro, and Focus. 2 weeks with 2 scoops each mixed with food (turn off all flow and let the fish swim through the "cloud") followed by 2 weeks of 1 scoop each. Good Luck!

Garlic does not have any effect on the parasite Ich, nor does it have any beneficial effect on the immune system of Marine Fish. While it does seem to have a beneficial effect on Fresh Water Fish, the use of it, for Marine Fish, is useless AND actually has been proven to cause liver damage.

With no coral. lower the salt. Run the temp around 80 to 82°. run a carbon filter. DON"T stress the fish. Make it run it's coarse ASAP. My bet is they had ich before you bought them.

You COULD take them back... !! Where did you get them? ;)

I don't know what water temp you run. But this is one reason I run my reef system between 79° & 80°.

Raising the temperature also has absolutely no effect on the Marine species of Ich. It works quite well, on Freshwater Ich, but not the Marine species.

briann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed metro and gave garlic and vitachem for a week and my fish have been fine

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
M

MandarinGirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I should move my fish completely from my tank into a QT?? keeping them in there and dosing with garlic wont work??? and if I do I would wait till late april to put fish back in????

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metronidazole (metro) is used for internal parasites..... as well as praziquantel (prazi pro)

And as Michael stated garlic is useless in saltwater..... marine ich (cryptocaryons). Are different from freshwater ich so be sure to do your research when treating to determine if your methods have been PROVEN to work in the marine aquarium and not just some he said she said that worked for them. Alot of sudden changes in your reef aquarium will cause stress and can cause an ich outbreak or continued ich outbreak. Stability is the key to success in a saltwater aquarium! Not many good things happen fast! Go fast you crash go slow you grow! Everyone gets excited and impatient and has to have it now now now! Be patient!

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest reading the sticky threads on ich. If you dont have any corals then slowly lower the salinity in ur tank and maintain it for 8 weeks! Invest in a refractometer not a junk hydrometer to measure salinity. Hyposalinity is the least stressful method.

skrimpwhisperer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so,
I have right now 1 peice of coral that came incrusted on a peice fo rock so I might move that over to the nano and I thought garlic killed your inverts. or was that copper? right now only 1 clown looks bad he is swimming side ways and is covered in spots the other clown has a few tiny spots but they might get worse??
If garlic dosnt kill my inverts I will probabley do that and lower the salinity.
and ebushrow my tank has been cycling for around 1 month. some people would tell me to cycle it for longer but I payed alot of money for it too be shipped via air travel actually soaking in salt water, so the ammonia has been .5 and .25 all month.

I am interested in this as well because I just lost both my clowns to ick and my six line wrasse. Wondering if there are any other alternatives because I don't have a quarantine tank and can't treat with copper (inverts). My purple firefish is still going strong and looking good though. Which I find odd.

P.S. my clowns came with ick on them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

GrahamR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic does not have any effect on the parasite Ich, nor does it have any beneficial effect on the immune system of Marine Fish. While it does seem to have a beneficial effect on Fresh Water Fish, the use of it, for Marine Fish, is useless AND actually has been proven to cause liver damage.

Raising the temperature also has absolutely no effect on the Marine species of Ich. It works quite well, on Freshwater Ich, but not the Marine species.

Listen to these wise words. The only sure way of preventing marine ich in a display tank is through quarantining every fish, piece of live rock, invert, coral, etc that goes into your tank. Our method is hyposalinity (1.009-1.010) until you no longer see trophont (white spots) stages on the fish. After they have disappeared we maintain the hyposalinity for 2 additional weeks. If trophonts reappear you must continue with hyposalinity. From personal experience formalin baths and hyposalinity have been successful in the case of an apparently very stubborn strain of the parasite that we acquired from "rescuing" a yellow tang from Petco... Hyposalinity as a technique for treating marine ich has been scientifically proven through peer reviewed journal publications... since the 1980s... so really there should be little excuse for not treating as it is easy and relatively inexpensive. I've attached a link to the journal article on hyposalinity
http://www.int-res.com/articles/dao/1/d001p019.pdf

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if ammonia is not at 0 then you haven't finished the ammonia cycle and still need to go through the nitrite cycle....if ammonia is not 0 you are burning the gills of your fish .... Causing harm to them.
Take all the fish and coral back and wait for the cycle to complete before you subject animals to poor unhealthy conditions.
okay so,

skrimpwhisperer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it turns out it wasn't ich my clowns were getting. It was brooklynella. My purple fire fish was a carrier and it made sense because they only started dying after I added the fire fish. Fire fish got destroyed by my big pistol shrimp so it looks like I may be good to go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back