Ich

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 150 gallon setup at my school. Which 2 of the fish went through tank transfer and the other 2 fish did not. I plan to treat all fish and allow tank to go fallow. I will utilize tank transfer for fish that are not showing signs and than use coppersafe on yellow eye and blue tang that have ich. After treatment I will place all fish into 55 gallon until tank is fallow. I have never used coppersafe but would like to know how to add slowly. I have used ionic copper before and it has not went well so I thought coppersafe might be better for this round. I feel the ich came from the yellow eye because he showed signs of ich but never showed spots so I treated and watched him and he looked healthy but never used copper. I should have. I just want fish to be healthy. Thanks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you are dealing with Ich, and not velvet, I would say you would hear most people state that they take 5 days or so to ramp up copper. I wont elaborate on my recent dealings with coppersafe, because we will be here all night. I would recommend testing regularly (Daily) as you are dosing, and spend some time reading around the forums about proper dosage. I have had what I believe to be some inconsistency in the product lately.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/proper-dosing-of-coppersafe.309726/

OP
OP
Dmb092182

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you are dealing with Ich, and not velvet, I would say you would hear most people state that they take 5 days or so to ramp up copper. I wont elaborate on my recent dealings with coppersafe, because we will be here all night. I would recommend testing regularly (Daily) as you are dosing, and spend some time reading around the forums about proper dosage. I have had what I believe to be some inconsistency in the product lately.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/proper-dosing-of-coppersafe.309726/
So what is the proper dose? I worried about using this now. So do you you use their dosage?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the proper dose? I worried about using this now. So do you you use their dosage?

Assuming you don’t have anything like rocks or sand absorbing the medication, dosing 2mL/gal puts you right where you need to be. Just remember to spread out that dosage over 4-5 days, as mentioned above.

Therapeutic range for Coppersafe is 1.5 - 2.0 ppm.

OP
OP
Dmb092182

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you don’t have anything like rocks or sand absorbing the medication, dosing 2mL/gal puts you right where you need to be. Just remember to spread out that dosage over 4-5 days, as mentioned above.

Therapeutic range for Coppersafe is 1.5 - 2.0 ppm.
Thanks for helping me. How many days should I run the coppersafe.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for helping me. How many days should I run the coppersafe.

Once you reach the therapudic level. 30 days. Then remove copper with large water changes and carbon. Then typically observe for 2 weeks post copper to make sure fish are indeed parasite free.

OP
OP
Dmb092182

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the support! I know I can get this done. Question? With tank transfer will that Rid Ich if it is in there gills?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Dmb092182

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Dmb092182

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow eye Kole tang in qt. And will do tank transfer for all other fish. I have a 45 gallon to place my yellow tang, salfin, baby blue hippo tang and 2 clownfish. I have not set up the 45 gallon yet. What is the safest to get cycled to start process . I wanted to do this weekend but I am afraid to use display water for 45 gallon because of the ich but I almost feel that I could use tank water to limit a cycle and than just run copper for a bit to make sure I kill the free swimming ich. What is your all’s recommendation

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any media in DT sump? You could cut a portion of it off and put in hob filter or in QT tank. This would get you a seeded QT. But same problem as far as cross contamination. If your going to dose copper anyway it's a non issue.

OP
OP
Dmb092182

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any media in DT sump? You could cut a portion of it off and put in hob filter or in QT tank. This would get you a seeded QT. But same problem as far as cross contamination. If your going to dose copper anyway it's a non issue.[/QUOTEi I do have bio balls and some live rock in sump but I think I will just leave it in the main tank. I ordered some biosphere to get it cycled. I have sometime because of tank transferring some fish so I will just set up tank and get it ready and I think it would be ready in 2 weeks after transfer and just monitor with Seachem alert badge.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not familiar with that product. But I have successfully used Dr. Tim's live nitrifying bacteria.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back