ICH...

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just introduced a sail fin tang and a Yellow eyed tang into the tank. I know tangs are prone to ich and it happened even with everything perfect for them.. what is Lyn next step? What can I do to save the tank from this? Please advice! #reefsquad pics to come ASAP!

915BF35E-E9C7-4BC0-8E2F-11850BED1FF8.jpeg

A78B2FF4-685A-4777-8BA6-B520F0542177.jpeg

E1040D1A-C8EE-4B91-9E9F-400F830CE0EC.jpeg

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to remove all fish from the tank and place in QT while you treat them for ICH. You will also need to let the display tank go fallow (fishless) for around 76 days if Im not mistaken. There are a few articles on how to treat for ICH in the article section and tons of threads on ICH in the forums. Read up and ask questions as you go along. Stay calm, you can manage this ;)

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add, you will want to make sure it ICH and not something else like velvet before you start treatments.

OP
OP
BellaCoop

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to tell the difference between Velvet and ICH?

OP
OP
BellaCoop

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to do or he right thing but all the videos and articles I am looking at are not really telling me a way to tell

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to tell the difference between Velvet and ICH?
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-difference-between-ich-velvet.315957/
This looks more like velvet to me.
You're going to need to put these fish in qt
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/

Here's the guide for velvet
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/
Your options are CP or copper. Normally you'd want to slowly ramp copper up, but with velvet this isn't much of an option. You're going to want to get it to therapeutic levels within 24-48 hours

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Sure Velvet.

The way you can tell a difference ich/velvet are two obvious things. The amount of coverage on the fish. Velvet multiplies at a much faster rate than Ich. So when you see hundreds of spots, its velvet. Ich would have less coverage and take longer to multiply. The other thing is the size of the spots. When it looks like a coating of powdered sugar as your fish do, Velvet. Ich spots would be much larger than what you are seeing.

As everyone said above, you have to act very quickly to save your fish.

This treatment plan advised by @Humblefish will give you the best chance at survival

5 minute freshwater dip
Immediately afterwards, perform a chemical bath (in saltwater matching SG/temp the fish came from). You have two options:
  1. Acriflavine (preferred) - Do the bath for 75-90 minutes, but remove the fish immediately at the first sign of distress. Aerate heavily both before & during the bath, and temperature control the water. The following products contain acriflavine: Acriflavine-MS and Ruby Reef Rally. DO NOT mix acriflavine with any other chemicals.
  2. Formalin - Do the bath for 30-60 minutes max, but remove the fish immediately at the first sign of distress. Aerate heavily both before & during the bath, and temperature control the water. The following products contain formalin: Formalin-MS, Quick Cure, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X, Kordon Rid-Ich Plus. Use protection (rubber gloves, face mask, eye protection, etc.) whenever handling formalin as it is a known carcinogen! However, you can add Methylene Blue to the formalin bath (1 capful per 2-3 gallons of bath water.)
  • After the bath, place the fish in a QT pre-dosed at 80mg/gal using Chloroquine phosphate. In theory, copper (exs. Cupramine, Coppersafe, Copper Power) should work just as well as CP. However, due to how fast velvet can reproduce you don’t have the luxury of slowly ramping up the copper level as is normally advised. Therefore, the fish needs to be placed in a QT with copper already at minimum therapeutic levels. This is the advantage CP has over copper in this particular situation.
  • While in QT, use a wide spectrum antibiotic (exs. Seachem Kanaplex, Furan-2) for the first week to ward off any possible bacterial infections. Secondary bacterial infections are very common in fish with preexisting parasitic infestations such as velvet.
  • Keep the fish in CP or copper (at therapeutic levels) for one month. However, you can transfer the fish into a non-medicated holding tank for observation after just two weeks (explained below). DO NOT lower the CP or copper level before transferring.

OP
OP
BellaCoop

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Velvet affect Corals?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not affect them in a harmful manor. It can encyst upon them or the rock they are attached to during the reproductive stages of the parasite life cycle. Therefore you will want to remove all fish and treat them in a QT. Leave the DT fallow for at least 6 weeks (for velvet) 76 days (for ich). This will break the life cycle of the parasite not having a fish to host and cause them to die off.

OP
OP
BellaCoop

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iv been looking for a forum on what velvet is and how you can get it in the tank and everything. Just so i know everything about it. Can someone either describe it or link a page with all the information.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna say if it's ich it's no big deal just keep them well fed and have prestine water, but to me from the pics it looks like velvet and if it is I would act quickly follow the experts advice for treating the velvet. Velvet kills really quick don't waste a minute.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back