Ich?

Stepheng101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first fish, a pair of clowns a couple of days ago from Petco (the only pet store with saltwater fish near me). They looked fine at the start but on the second day I noticed the white spots. They are still eating though and staying active, could the sickness go away? I might start a QT and cure them, wait 8 weeks for the ick to die in the tank, then add them back? Can I grow coral in the tank while I do this?
20180725_224139.jpeg
20180725_224132.jpeg

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like ich. Could also be sand but I doubt it. & Yes it it a great time to add any coral to the tank while you QT fish. I assume you know how to dip coral in order to get rid of unwanted pests.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While ich is possible, clowns are difficult to diagnose. If you are going to set up a QT, I would treat them for Brook. Use a 90 minute bath in acriflavine, or 30-45 min bath in Formalin between DT and QT. Then treat the QT with copper or CP to cover ich/velvet. If you do this, make sure not to use any DT water or media in QT. It needs to be completely sterile.

The early stages of Brook can look like ich or velvet. Photos definitely look more like ich or velvet, but again cannot rule out brook being they are clowns.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-disease-index.247600/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stepheng101

Stepheng101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While ich is possible, clowns are difficult to diagnose. If you are going to set up a QT, I would treat them for Brook. Use a 90 minute bath in acriflavine, or 30-45 min bath in Formalin between DT and QT. Then treat the QT with copper or CP to cover ich/velvet. If you do this, make sure not to use any DT water or media in QT. It needs to be completely sterile.

The early stages of Brook can look like ich or velvet. Photos definitely look more like ich or velvet, but again cannot rule out brook being they are clowns.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-disease-index.247600/
Can I use bio spira in QT tank then if I am not using display tank water?

OP
OP
Stepheng101

Stepheng101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, can I fill half my tanks water from the DT if im going to use copper to treat my fish?

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can use Biospiria, I would definitely recommend using that or Dr Tims for the new QT.

No do not use any DT water. In order to be sure you treat for Brook properly the QT they go to after the bath needs to be completely sterile.

OP
OP
Stepheng101

Stepheng101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a acriflavine bath, then moved them into the qt before I left on my trip. I showed my brother how to feed them and one of them died :( he said it was white before it died so im guessing the stress from the new tank caused the disease velvet to kill it? Anyways, the other one looks healthy and doesn't have any signs of ich or velvet. Should I still copper dose?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back