Ich?

Sarah1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know for sure if its ich or just a mark or a bit of sand or something? I got a new frag 4 weeks ago and had it first in my QT but due to a shipping delay it was dying on arrival and so after 4 or 5 days I put it in the main tank as I thought it was the best chance of saving it.
Today I've noticed my female clown has 1 white spot on her side but all the other fish look fine.
Should I QT her to be safe or at this point I assume it would be too late and they would all need QT and a fallow period for the tank?
20210110_152636_031.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would help us if you could get a clearer picture, taken under white light....

It is difficult to describe to people "what is ich" and what is not...it is a combination of deciding factors; the fish's history, how long the spot has been there, the fish's overall demeanor, etc. Multiple spots are a sign, spots on both the fins and the body are a sign. Spots that show up, but then go away after 36 hours or so and then show up in new areas is a sign.

I wouldn't treat for just one spot, but you should be prepared to move and treat with copper...

Jay

OP
OP
S

Sarah1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would help us if you could get a clearer picture, taken under white light....

It is difficult to describe to people "what is ich" and what is not...it is a combination of deciding factors; the fish's history, how long the spot has been there, the fish's overall demeanor, etc. Multiple spots are a sign, spots on both the fins and the body are a sign. Spots that show up, but then go away after 36 hours or so and then show up in new areas is a sign.

I wouldn't treat for just one spot, but you should be prepared to move and treat with copper...

Jay
I only noticed it today a few hours ago and she seems normal, the odd jerky movement here and there but she has always been an odd swimmer as all clowns seems to be. She is eating well. There does seem to be another lighter white mark further toward her head but that looks different. I haven't noticed any aggression lately but my midas blenny has been aggressive with pretty much all other fish in the tank on occasion.
She doesn't stop still so hard to get a non blurry photo sorry.
There are small white specks floating in the water which you can see in the 2nd picture.
Screenshot_20210110-174700_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20210110-174644_Photos.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a possible second spot on the second spine of the dorsal fin? I would just watch this overnight.

Jay

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know for sure if its ich or just a mark or a bit of sand or something? I got a new frag 4 weeks ago and had it first in my QT but due to a shipping delay it was dying on arrival and so after 4 or 5 days I put it in the main tank as I thought it was the best chance of saving it.
Today I've noticed my female clown has 1 white spot on her side but all the other fish look fine.
Should I QT her to be safe or at this point I assume it would be too late and they would all need QT and a fallow period for the tank?
20210110_152636_031.jpg
Exactly single (or feew) spots without other symptoms can be a lot of things other thank ich. Flukes is one example among others.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I see a couple dots . As Jay stated, keep an eye
When you see one and ich is present, the trophant has become adult stage and now visible meaning it would be there starting to pop up

Back