Ich

jpratt21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for peoples opinion on ich and if anyone is living with ich how is it going do your fish get immune to it? My tank has been ich free for a while now but recently I added a blonde naso tang and a purple tang to my 220 gallon display tank. I also qt my fish prior to putting them in my tank. I’ve had to pull all my fish out for 72 days to get rid of ich before and my tank has been doing great until I added my purple and blonde naso. The next morning I noticed my purple had a couple white spots on him amd I didn’t know how he could possibly have ich after doing my qt which ever only recommends and doing your best to keep an “ich free” tank and then over night ich is back in the tank. I guess I just don’t know if pulling the fish out is really going to solve anything or not if one fish can get it over night after being qt then what’s the point I guess. Just looking for other people experience with this and maybe opinions on what I should do. All of my fish are eating very well and don’t seem bothered by the ich that’s there I’ve been watching it and the only one I can see that has it is my purple tang there are some more spots then the other day but he still seems happy and eating very well. I do have a qt tank set up if I need to remove them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pictures will be of help as it can also be sand grains or lymphocystis.
How did you acclimate them and for how long ?
This can also be attributed by water quality or stress

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for peoples opinion on ich and if anyone is living with ich how is it going do your fish get immune to it? My tank has been ich free for a while now but recently I added a blonde naso tang and a purple tang to my 220 gallon display tank. I also qt my fish prior to putting them in my tank. I’ve had to pull all my fish out for 72 days to get rid of ich before and my tank has been doing great until I added my purple and blonde naso. The next morning I noticed my purple had a couple white spots on him amd I didn’t know how he could possibly have ich after doing my qt which ever only recommends and doing your best to keep an “ich free” tank and then over night ich is back in the tank. I guess I just don’t know if pulling the fish out is really going to solve anything or not if one fish can get it over night after being qt then what’s the point I guess. Just looking for other people experience with this and maybe opinions on what I should do. All of my fish are eating very well and don’t seem bothered by the ich that’s there I’ve been watching it and the only one I can see that has it is my purple tang there are some more spots then the other day but he still seems happy and eating very well. I do have a qt tank set up if I need to remove them.
Are you sure it is ich (again)? Please try to get and post photos

If one has it in DT, they all potentially have exposure. IF marine ich, thinking the tangs brought ich from QT to DT. You don't mention how long new tangs were in QT. "Immunity" isn't something that happens, though some fish have thicker slime coats than tangs. The advantage to putting all fish in QT is you don't want copper to leach into your DT and forever kill invertebrates like shrimp. You also want to siphon bottom of tank daily to get 'eggs' and clean bottom QT enables this cleaning. Use care with using copper on tangs; no personal experience with blonde naso & purple but my yellow tang seems sensitive to everything (sailfin, not) monitor closely you might have to reduce dosage.

Glad they are eating well. Fingers crossed this clears up for you

OP
OP
J

jpratt21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures will be of help as it can also be sand grains or lymphocystis.
How did you acclimate them and for how long ?
This can also be attributed by water quality or stress
I can send some pictures later today when I get off work.I don’t think it’s lymphocystis since I have seen that before on some other fish but it could be maybe sand grains from over night when they sleep if my purple gets some sand on his slime coat and then it looks like ich. My salinity is 1.024 and ph is 7.8 nitrate is about 16ppm nitrite 0 ppm ammonia 0ppm I do water changes ever two weeks about 60-70gallons of water. I acclimated him for an hour to make sure water temp, salinity and everything matched up to help reduce him from stressing out. And kept the lights off to keep him from stressing out with my other tangs in the tank already. I noticed the spots in the morning like today but I just was home like an hour ago and I didn’t see any white spots on my purple tang.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can send some pictures later today when I get off work.I don’t think it’s lymphocystis since I have seen that before on some other fish but it could be maybe sand grains from over night when they sleep if my purple gets some sand on his slime coat and then it looks like ich. My salinity is 1.024 and ph is 7.8 nitrate is about 16ppm nitrite 0 ppm ammonia 0ppm I do water changes ever two weeks about 60-70gallons of water. I acclimated him for an hour to make sure water temp, salinity and everything matched up to help reduce him from stressing out. And kept the lights off to keep him from stressing out with my other tangs in the tank already. I noticed the spots in the morning like today but I just was home like an hour ago and I didn’t see any white spots on my purple tang.
how long did you quarantine before acclimation in your your display tank?
You first post mentions "I also qt my fish prior to putting them in my tank" but not how long

OP
OP
J

jpratt21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it is ich (again)? Please try to get and post photos

If one has it in DT, they all potentially have exposure. IF marine ich, thinking the tangs brought ich from QT to DT. You don't mention how long new tangs were in QT. "Immunity" isn't something that happens, though some fish have thicker slime coats than tangs. The advantage to putting all fish in QT is you don't want copper to leach into your DT and forever kill invertebrates like shrimp. You also want to siphon bottom of tank daily to get 'eggs' and clean bottom QT enables this cleaning. Use care with using copper on tangs; no personal experience with blonde naso & purple but my yellow tang seems sensitive to everything (sailfin, not) monitor closely you might have to reduce dosage.

Glad they are eating well. Fingers crossed this clears up for you
Also I normally leave them in my qt for 2 weeks but maybe I should do 4 weeks with any new fish.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I normally leave them in my qt for 2 weeks but maybe I should do 4 weeks with any new fish.
This is an interesting post that seems to indicate 45 days, but you can draw your own conclusions:

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to throw a wrench into this but I use TTM with H2O2 method documented by HumbleFish. It addresses both Ich and Velvet infections. It has worked well for me and I recommend a colander to transfer the fish (not a net which can inflict injuries).

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back