Ich???

1fastfxr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help!!! I have a recently setup a saltwater tank that will eventually become a reef tank. The tank was set up using dead rock and and sand, with the exception of 20 lbs. of live sand. The only two inhabitants of the tank are 2 clownfish. These fish have been in the tank since July 5th. This is the 2nd day that one them refuses to eat and I noticed 2 small white dots on his body behind his right fin today. I have tried to get pics or video of him but now he is barely visible hiding behind a rock structure. I don't understand how ich was introduced to the tank because these fish have gone through a full quarantine procedure in my hospital tank of cupramine and prazipro. My problem being, I have 2 more fish presently in the hospital tank that are in a full dose of copper right now and I only have the one hospital tank. Is there anything I can treat the clown with in the main display tank that is reef safe, or will have worn off by the time I introduce coral? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP

1fastfxr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help!!! I have a recently setup a saltwater tank that will eventually become a reef tank. The tank was set up using dead rock and and sand, with the exception of 20 lbs. of live sand. The only two inhabitants of the tank are 2 clownfish. These fish have been in the tank since July 5th. This is the 2nd day that one them refuses to eat and I noticed 2 small white dots on his body behind his right fin today. I have tried to get pics or video of him but now he is barely visible hiding behind a rock structure. I don't understand how ich was introduced to the tank because these fish have gone through a full quarantine procedure in my hospital tank of cupramine and prazipro. My problem being, I have 2 more fish presently in the hospital tank that are in a full dose of copper right now and I only have the one hospital tank. Is there anything I can treat the clown with in the main display tank that is reef safe, or will have worn off by the time I introduce coral? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Also, the fish has labored breathing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the fish has labored breathing.

Labored breathing, and not eating, with just a couple of spots, isn't ich. It is more likely velvet, water quality issues or less likely, bacterial. It sounds like just one clown is affected? Is the other one eating fine? If so, you need to consider they are not getting along - very common with clownfish.

What are the water quality parameters (especially ammonia)?

Jay

OP
OP

1fastfxr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Labored breathing, and not eating, with just a couple of spots, isn't ich. It is more likely velvet, water quality issues or less likely, bacterial. It sounds like just one clown is affected? Is the other one eating fine? If so, you need to consider they are not getting along - very common with clownfish.

What are the water quality parameters (especially ammonia)?

Jay
Ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, for some reason Nitrate has been 40ppm. But jumped.to 80ppm. So I did a water change. He's just laying on the bottom. I was able to get video this morning. Any suggestions how to treat him and do I also treat the female?

Attachments

• 20210819_112018.mp4
    78.7 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, for some reason Nitrate has been 40ppm. But jumped.to 80ppm. So I did a water change. He's just laying on the bottom. I was able to get video this morning. Any suggestions how to treat him and do I also treat the female?
Is the female doing fine? I need to know if she is eating and breathing normally.
The gills look a bit inflamed. Could be a bacterial disease.
Jay

OP
OP

1fastfxr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the female doing fine? I need to know if she is eating and breathing normally.
The gills look a bit inflamed. Could be a bacterial disease.
Jay
She seems to be doing well. Breathing normally, eating well, and swimming

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She seems to be doing well. Breathing normally, eating well, and swimming
Often, there is no 100% clear course of action with a sick fish. You might consider giving it a 5 minute freshwater dip and then moving it to a treatment tank and dosing with a gram negative, broad spectrum antibiotic….
Jay

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back