ICK Advice

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand you should treat Ick for one month with copper in your tank (display), my questions is I have 2 marine fish one a trigger and one goby. Both had ick its been 14 days in quarantine with Coppersafe , there is no more visible ick that I can see on both of them. I was wondering if I gave them a fresh water dip for 5 minutes to make sure they were clean can they go in to my display tank or should I leave them in Coppersafe for 30 days both have been eating great!!!!

Thanks for your time and advice!

Carl

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were the fish with ich ever in the dt? If the dt was infected it needs to sit fallow for 72 days, if not it and you havent seen any ich signs for 14day (14days since last spot not since beginning treatment) you might be ok. The fresh water dip is inconsequential, it gives some temporary relief to fish that have ich but wont really prove their ich free or treat them if their not.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand you should treat Ick for one month with copper in your tank (display), my questions is I have 2 marine fish one a trigger and one goby. Both had ick its been 14 days in quarantine with Coppersafe , there is no more visible ick that I can see on both of them. I was wondering if I gave them a fresh water dip for 5 minutes to make sure they were clean can they go in to my display tank or should I leave them in Coppersafe for 30 days both have been eating great!!!!

Carl
For clarification, were these fish in your display before they went into qt? If they were not in the dt then you just need to keep them in QT for the full treatment or else you will possibly/probably/ilkely infect your DT if it is clean now?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that 14 days of therapeutic levels of copper should cure the fish of ich in QT.

I also agree that if ich is in the display, you'll have to wait for a certain amount of time for the ich in the display to die out with no host. That means your treated fish will have to find another home for a few weeks.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go look up @Humblefish. He is the expert. His recommendation is that you need to keep the fish at therapeutic copper levels for 30 days straight in QT. If levels go below therapeutic for one day, clock starts over. If the sick fish were in your display, the fallow period is 76 days. (Fallow = no fish) If you do this, you will be ich free. anything less is a crap shoot. Good luck!

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For clarification, were these fish in your display before they went into qt? If they were not in the dt then you just need to keep them in QT for the full treatment or else you will possibly/probably/ilkely infect your DT if it is clean now?

+1 wait out the full treatment to complete the life cycle of the parasite.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Carl
Follow all the way through. They have cycles and cysts will be present. The display tank itself should be fish free for at least 2-2.5 months

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that 14 days of therapeutic levels of copper should cure the fish of ich in QT.

I also agree that if ich is in the display, you'll have to wait for a certain amount of time for the ich in the display to die out with no host. That means your treated fish will have to find another home for a few weeks.
Thanks for the advice

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back