Temp 77
Am 0
NO2 0
NO3 3ppm
Ca 450
Mg 1400
dKH 7
PO4 .12ppm

These signs showed up last Friday I guess when I found a my new blue tang dead on the bottom. The larger clown pictured here has had white stringy poop since arrival - 2 months ago. I dosed his food with metro/focus and everything cleared up for a while. Until I added more fish two weeks ago. Now, whatever it is is back in full force.

I've set up a small 10g hospital tank (also pictured, its cycled with Fritz 900 and ready to go), but I need to first catch the little bugger and then determine what I need to treat for. Please help me diagnose this. He has bumpy whitespots all over, they started out looking like pimples and now its just a cloudy white dust looking covering. I'm afraid I already know the hard truth that all my other fish probably have it at this point as well. Anyway, please help!!

20200603_120026.jpg
20200603_120652.jpg
20200603_115657.jpg
20200603_120032.jpg
20200603_120014.jpg

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathing rapidly. Yesterday was at top of water and seemed to be "gasping" for air - opening her mouth all the way with her lips out of the water. Every now and then she darts around. Maybe this info helps...

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, that looks and sounds like velvet, but I am no expert, that is my disclaimer here.
Are they swimming into the flow of any filters or powerheads? That is a dead sure sign of velvet.

For temporary relief, immediate freshwater dip, match temperature and no more than 5 minutes. After the dip move directly into the hospital tank, assuming temperature and salinity match. Treat with whatever meds you want. Leave display tank fallow (fishless) for at least six weeks.

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, that looks and sounds like velvet, but I am no expert, that is my disclaimer here.
Are they swimming into the flow of any filters or powerheads? That is a dead sure sign of velvet.

For temporary relief, immediate freshwater dip, match temperature and no more than 5 minutes. After the dip move directly into the hospital tank, assuming temperature and salinity match. Treat with whatever meds you want. Leave display tank fallow (fishless) for at least six weeks.
Yes, she seems to find a good current and just swims into it...constantly. I think i need to go find a fish trap. I cannot catch her with a net, ive tried for the last 30min!! And, if it is velvet, I guess I need to get all 5 fish out and into separate tanks. Uggghhhh.....this is me learning the QT lesson the hard way everyone... dang. It.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes, all your fish have it by now. Depending on your stock, you may not have room in your hospital tank, in which case, if possible, move your corals into the hospital, remove all rock and sand from the DT and treat them in there.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, she seems to find a good current and just swims into it...constantly.

That is a pretty sure sign it's Velvet.

Fortunately brook and velvet have basically identical cures.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are good.
Ph 8.2
Sal 1.025
Temp 77
Am 0
NO2 0
NO3 3ppm
Ca 450
Mg 1400
dKH 7
PO4 .12ppm

These signs showed up last Friday I guess when I found a my new blue tang dead on the bottom. The larger clown pictured here has had white stringy poop since arrival - 2 months ago. I dosed his food with metro/focus and everything cleared up for a while. Until I added more fish two weeks ago. Now, whatever it is is back in full force.

I've set up a small 10g hospital tank (also pictured, its cycled with Fritz 900 and ready to go), but I need to first catch the little bugger and then determine what I need to treat for. Please help me diagnose this. He has bumpy whitespots all over, they started out looking like pimples and now its just a cloudy white dust looking covering. I'm afraid I already know the hard truth that all my other fish probably have it at this point as well. Anyway, please help!!

20200603_120026.jpg
20200603_120652.jpg
20200603_115657.jpg
20200603_120032.jpg
20200603_120014.jpg
Do a new post and add #reefsquad. I was in your shoes this past weekend and have either ich or velvet. Good luck!

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip!!

Hope you're figuring it out and having some success!!
Thank you! Yes, everyone was so helpful. I don't have coral yet so am treating with Seachem Paraguard. I gave my royal gramma a dip and he is happy as a clam now. The last two days he has been very busy building an underground bunker/cave. There are piles of sand in front!! He has to be thinking "I'm not letting anyone get near me again". He dashes right in when I come around!

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, she seems to find a good current and just swims into it...constantly. I think i need to go find a fish trap. I cannot catch her with a net, ive tried for the last 30min!! And, if it is velvet, I guess I need to get all 5 fish out and into separate tanks. Uggghhhh.....this is me learning the QT lesson the hard way everyone... dang. It.
I caught my damsel the other day this way. Get a somewhat large tupperware container and catch him with it and press against the glass. Move it up towards the top of the tank and gingerly slip your net along the side. Problem solved!

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
+1 for brook. Freshwater dip to may offer relief. If you have Ruby Reef Rally that stuff is great as well. As far as treatment goes, metro. Not a huge fan of doubling down on meds unless you know its confirmed (I don't really see velvet in the pics but you can see it better than me in real life vs pix), but with velvet and brook being equally nasty fast killers and clowns being pretty hardy, Copper (chelated like Cppper Power or Copper Safe) with metro/General Cure should be fine as long as the water is properly aerated.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back