Ick- fallow DT and hypo-salinity question.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a question regarding hyposalinity.

I have been getting ready to upgrade tanks. My new tank has been up and cycling for 4 months + and only thing I have added is fish and a hand full of inverts (snails and hermits) the tank has no corals.

Last weekend I bought a bunch of fish from a local reefer. Around Wednesday I noticed a few white spots. By Thursday most all the fish in the tank had a ick (I believe) outbreak.
Between Thursday morning and Thursday evening I set up a 55 gallon hospital tank, started 1.5ppm copper power and transferred ALL fish into hospital tank.

fish list:
2 yellow Tangs (one covered in Ick one showing no signs)
1 purple tang (covered In Ick)
1 one spot fox face. (Maybe one or two ick spots)
1 large sail fin (covered in Ick- didn’t make it unfortunately)
1 powder brown- (a few ick spots)
1 file fish (no signs of ick)
1 six line wrasse (no signs of ick)

as of today - everyone is still alive and looking better with the exceptions of the sail fin.

yesterday increased copper to 2.5 ppm.

the fish seem to be improving. I plan on 30 days in copper then either general cure or prazi pro for additional 2 weeks.

I originally planned on waiting the 76 days and going fallow in DT. But I have been reading about hypo and was wondering if I went hypo in the DT if I would be ok to add fish back after the 45 days or should I go the full 76 days?

DT has no corals, and a hand full of inverts (which if needed I can remove) I can drop salinity very low- but two concerns:

1. will that completely kill the beneficial bacteria?
2. Is it a guarantee ick and other potential illnesses will be gone?

I’m ok to wait 76 days but if it’s a sure thing hypo will kill ick and not destroy by beneficial bacteria it then 45 days sounds a better lol. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with hypo and ick?

OP
OP
Bfragale

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also- what about temperate? Without corals or fish- another option is to also increase temp to 84 degrees along with hyposalinity - but same concern- will this kill ick? Will it kill benificial bacteria?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that any studies have been done on fallow periods and hyposalinity. Most ich treatments kill only the free-swimming theront stage, and fallow periods are designed to remove the resting tomont stage. If you remove the invertebrates and then put them back, they can serve as a vector, so in that case, safest to go the full 76 days.
If you go with 45 days, I would leave the invertebrates in place and raise the temperature to 81 or 82.

Jay

OP
OP
Bfragale

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you jay.

I think I’m going to wait the full 76 days to play it safe. I would rather be safe then sorry lol.
Thank you again for the time to reply. Take cate my friend and happy reefing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back