Ick/flukes coppersafe and prazi together?

Leib

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I have a question I ran into a problem with flukes ick and fin rot all at once my fish are currently in a quarintine with copper can I treat methylene blue or prazi with copper? Thanks,leib.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treating ich or velvet with copper and an antibiotic for bacterial infection (fin rot is one type) is very common. Most would wait for the treating the flukes until after the copper duration is completed and the copper removed from the QT.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treating ich or velvet with copper and an antibiotic for bacterial infection (fin rot is one type) is very common. Most would wait for the treating the flukes until after the copper duration is completed and the copper removed from the QT.
+1 If you're a pinch you can administer API GC + kanaplex in combination with copper. I have done many times no problem. Slowly raise copper over 3-4 days to therapeutic levels and allow the fish to adapt, ideally get them eating first. After acclimated to the copper you can move forward with the remaining medications. Keep in mind that the first round of GC should be administered 5-7 apart from each other and with 25% water change not 48 hours as directed on the package. Follow instruction for kanaplex dosing 48 hours apart for 14 days consecutive.

OP
OP
Leib

Leib

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 If you're a pinch you can administer API GC + kanaplex in combination with copper. I have done many times no problem. Slowly raise copper over 3-4 days to therapeutic levels and allow the fish to adapt, ideally get them eating first. After acclimated to the copper you can move forward with the remaining medications. Keep in mind that the first round of GC should be administered 5-7 apart from each other and with 25% water change not 48 hours as directed on the package. Follow instruction for kanaplex dosing 48 hours apart for 14 days consecutive.
Thanks so much for your advice really apprechiate it,leib

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

In a pinch you could add metronidazole, copper, methylene blue, any many other things. I hope in 2020 we have come to the point where we don't shotgun.

Mmun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in a similar situation. My copper treatment is over but still trying to get it removed from tank. The fish have had flukes as well. With copper power if I get it below 2.5 can I dose with general cure? At what level of copper remaining is it safe for general cure?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's OK to dose general cure with copper. Just have a powerhead aimed up at the surface rippling the water surface actively, to provide extra O2. But if you are not in a hurry, I'd remove as much of the copper first before dosing anything else. A 50% water change will cut that copper in half.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's OK to dose general cure with copper. Just have a powerhead aimed up at the surface rippling the water surface actively, to provide extra O2. But if you are not in a hurry, I'd remove as much of the copper first before dosing anything else. A 50% water change will cut that copper in half.

+1

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back