Ick in new tank need adice

Reynolds6pack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found out my 3 month old DT 120 gal tank has ick already (yes my fault for going to fast . I do have a 12 month bio cube that I want to use as a hospital tank. It has live rock and inverts . My plan is to ditch the live rock because of the GHA on it and transfere the inverts over to the DT and put all fish in bio cube coper dose bio cube and go 76 day fallow on DT . Questions I have , will the GHA transfere over from the snails and crabs ? Should I take out the substrate in the bio cube ,i have a cho chip star and a long spine urchin to transfere over to DT so snails and crabs. And one large long tencale anomie. Just kin d of a big move double guess need so advice be nice to me.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found out my 3 month old DT 120 gal tank has ick already (yes my fault for going to fast . I do have a 12 month bio cube that I want to use as a hospital tank. It has live rock and inverts . My plan is to ditch the live rock because of the GHA on it and transfere the inverts over to the DT and put all fish in bio cube coper dose bio cube and go 76 day fallow on DT . Questions I have , will the GHA transfere over from the snails and crabs ? Should I take out the substrate in the bio cube ,i have a cho chip star and a long spine urchin to transfere over to DT so snails and crabs. And one large long tencale anomie. Just kin d of a big move double guess need so advice be nice to me.
Possible to transfer gha in the tank but you will bring in with coral and other inverts.

You can treat the bio cube with rock and sand. I think the rock will help your fish out with stress but many don't use rock in a qt tank. All that rock will have lots of bacteria and help.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t want to have the rock in there when treating - it absorbs copper and makes dosing tricky (and renders them unusable in a reef).
Transferring gha is a concern, but whatever moves in on inverts is not going to be a large amount and probably easy to manage.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t want to have the rock in there when treating - it absorbs copper and makes dosing tricky (and renders them unusable in a reef).
Transferring gha is a concern, but whatever moves in on inverts is not going to be a large amount and probably easy to manage.
Just more testing and may take longer to get to therapeutic levels. You can use those rock in a reef tank again. The rock will leach it all out may take a bit it can be done.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back