ICK is BACK!!!!!!!!

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ran copper power for 30 days in July to August and was successful I thought until today (back in my DT)! Question can I run my UV light and protein skimmer while treating with copper power?
Thanks in advance for your time.

Aquarium.jpeg

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know a skimmer will not interfere with copper but I have heard you should not run UV with copper.
Can we know what level you had the copper at and the test kit you used?

edit: just wanted to add, it seems like you may be planning to treat your DT with copper power? Do not do that..
Best course of action would be to remove all fish from your DT for 76 days and put all of your fish through another round of copper QT at a higher concentration than you did.. not ideal but better than losing fish..

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to many to QT in a different tank some are pretty large! Will take shark out I have no corals etc... ran it at 2.0 use API Copper and Hanna test kit.

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been told by people who are pretty well known in this field that Ick is always present in a tank??????????

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to many to QT in a different tank some are pretty large! Will take shark out I have no corals etc... ran it at 2.0 use API Copper and Hanna test kit.

You used both the API test kit and the Hanna tester?
If the treatment dropped below 1.5ppm for even a day, you should have restarted the clock. if you do it again, I'd do a longer treatment and a higher concentration.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It absolutely is. Prove me wrong, ill be waiting.
You do realize it’s absolutely possible to eradicate ich correct?

There are things out there like copper/CP that kill the free swimming stage of the parasite. If used properly you can definitely clear ich completely from a fish and maintain an ich free tank.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize it’s absolutely possible to eradicate ich correct?

There are things out there like copper/CP that kill the free swimming stage of the parasite. If used properly you can definitely clear ich completely from a fish and maintain an ich free tank.

I've told you many times that I'm more than happy to prove your fish have ich. And its just false that they can be eradicated which is why you see over and over threads like these pop up with ich coming back magically, lol

I've been keeping fish wayyyy longer than you as the so called "expert", as have several others on here that have just stopped arguing about it...

I should prolly follow their lead as well...

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've told you many times that I'm more than happy to prove your fish have ich. And its just false that they can be eradicated which is why you see over and over threads like these pop up with ich coming back magically, lol

I've been keeping fish wayyyy longer than you as the so called "expert", as have several others on here that have just stopped arguing about it...

I should prolly follow their lead as well...

How can you prove that they have ich?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can’t argue science. Lol. It’s a known life cycle and a known methodology to eradicate it.

Sure if you don’t quarantine EVERYTHING that goes into a said tank it will very likely end up in that tank again yes. As certain stages of the life cycle do attach to things like corals etc. Ich can certainly live upon most fish without seeing symptoms. If you are ever in my area your welcome to come see my ich free tanks. Never EVER seen any ich in them. I have 11 tangs 5 of which are acanthurus. The ich magnet type lol.

The length of time you have been keeping fish is irrelevant and so is my “expert” badge. That wasn’t something I asked for it was something I was nominated for. I do take pride in wearing it as well :)

Back