ICK is BACK!!!!!!!!

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to qt all fish and fallow your display for 2 months.

If younrun a fowler you can use copper in your dt, bur you NEED the hanna checket to maintain it at like 2.0, @HotRocks found some resilliant strains.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t argue science. Lol. It’s a known life cycle and a known methodology to eradicate it.

Sure if you don’t quarantine EVERYTHING that goes into a said tank it will very likely end up in that tank again yes. As certain stages of the life cycle do attach to things like corals etc. Ich can certainly live upon most fish without seeing symptoms. If you are ever in my area your welcome to come see my ich free tanks. Never EVER seen any ich in them. I have 11 tangs 5 of which are acanthurus. The ich magnet type lol.

The length of time you have been keeping fish is irrelevant and so is my “expert” badge. That wasn’t something I asked for it was something I was nominated for. I do take pride in wearing it as well :)

Do you have any kind of quarantine thread i can read through.. I think ive read most of the threads on R2R but the more knowledge the better!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to qt all fish and fallow your display for 2 months.

If younrun a fowler you can use copper in your dt, bur you NEED the hanna checket to maintain it at like 2.0, @HotRocks found some resilliant strains.
The resistant to copper strain was velvet. Not ich. Just to clarify. It was easily taken care of by upping the copper a bit and a second run.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any kind of quarantine thread i can read through.. I think ive read most of the threads on R2R but the more knowledge the better!
This should be of help to you. :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've told you many times that I'm more than happy to prove your fish have ich. And its just false that they can be eradicated which is why you see over and over threads like these pop up with ich coming back magically, lol

I've been keeping fish wayyyy longer than you as the so called "expert", as have several others on here that have just stopped arguing about it...

I should prolly follow their lead as well...

Ich is now like Windows 10? Every aquarium we buy comes preinstalled with it. :eek:

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of ick in my tank with seachem ParaGard. if you know the water dispasment and remove all chemical filtration. have to dose to the T I have herd some bad results with over dosing or not doing water changes or not doing the dose on time each day. usualy dose for 4-5 weeks. I did 4 weeks of dosing. it did not harm my crabs fish coral snails. it took a wail but I have not seen ick in my tank since. I did it to display tank no qt btw

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the absolutely most strict qt processes known to kill all life stages of ick is taken on EVERYTHING that enters the tank then you have ick. Healthy fish will never show symptoms unless a huge breakout occurs, which is usually triggered by the introduction of a new individual IME.

The processes needed to keep a tank truly ick free are so over the top I doubt many ppl follow them.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the absolutely most strict qt processes known to kill all life stages of ick is taken on EVERYTHING that enters the tank then you have ick. Healthy fish will never show symptoms unless a huge breakout occurs, which is usually triggered by the introduction of a new individual IME.

The processes needed to keep a tank truly ick free are so over the top I doubt many ppl follow them.

I mean starting with dry rock and "live" sand theres no risk for ich. Then QT coral and inverts and your fish.
Where could ich be introduced?

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right.... well my fish don't look sick so I'm not gonna complain or argue. Good luck happy reefing. have fun arguing on this dudes thread.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do. It’s not hard at all.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stopping by to let you know ich can pretty easily be kept out of your tank.

That is all, bye bye! :D

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean starting with dry rock and "live" sand theres no risk for ich. Then QT coral and inverts and your fish.
Where could ich be introduced?

I do. It’s not hard at all.

For people who start a tank with dry rock and go through a strict qt with fish and corals then its definitely possible, I think. The thing is the recommended fallow period to accomplish eradication can be up to 80 days. Do people really keep their frags in a fish free tank for 80 days? This is an honest question as IDK.

I dont follow any qt procedures and have fish older than my marriage (10 years). Keep your water stable and your fish healthy and you will never have to worry about it.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For people who start a tank with dry rock and go through a strict qt with fish and corals then its definitely possible, I think. The thing is the recommended fallow period to accomplish eradication can be up to 80 days. Do people really keep their frags in a fish free tank for 80 days? This is an honest question as IDK.
I have yes, and it’s not hard to do except with SPS. Keeping acros fishless is a challenge but it can be done.

It’s probably not for everyone but very attainable.

I do prophylactically treat my fish as well, most people observe and treat and that is how you end up with ich in your system because several fish carry ich without visible symptoms. I know a lot of people who QT their fish but not coral. There are a million ways to keep a successful tank in this hobby! :)

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yes, and it’s not hard to do except with SPS. Keeping acros fishless is a challenge but it can be done.

That's great if it works for you. I just don't see myself going through such a process to see relatively little improvement for my situation.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great if it works for you. I just don't see myself going through such a process to see relatively little improvement for my situation.
Nothing wrong with that. Everyone has their own tolerance for risk. Fully acceptable!

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with that. Everyone has their own tolerance for risk. Fully acceptable!

I, much like many people, experienced my fair share of ick heartbreak when I first started reefing (2005). I lost a lot of fish. Rather than devoting time to completely eradicating the pest I went in the direction of providing a healthy, stable system for my fish. Consistent water changes, acceptable density of fish inhabitants, and a varied diet consisting of frozen, pellet, and live foods. On top of all this I would only consider purchasing the healthiest fish I could find to begin with. I also avoid species known to have issues. Fast forward to today and I have a healthy, thriving ecosystem with fish up to 11 years old.

In the end there is more than one way to skin a cat. It is very surprising to me how quick people jump to hostility when it comes to ick, EEKK!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you're keeping an Achilles or Powder Blue Tang, Ich is mostly manageable. What concerns me most is Velvet and Brook. Those two patogens alone are worth the hassle of QT IMO.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%
Back