Ick/marine velvet in reef aquarium

socal562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted ask quick question. My tank broke out about 4 days ago with couple little spots ick I believe it is can be wrong. My question is currently dosing polyp lab medic looks like it’s getting a little bit worst. I’m thinking about just pulling all fish out and treat them with cupramine. Just wanted to know since I started with medic would this be safe at all. I would be setting up a quarantine with my spare Nuvo 20g aio. My current tank is a Waterbox 100.3 reef set up sorry for the bad pictures. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

61040B29-C8B8-4952-AC7A-50CBDF88B972.jpeg 4B58B9D4-57D3-4753-9453-AF5FE6F2EBD0.jpeg BE5749F6-6743-4DCF-8AB5-E07E84399C05.jpeg 6A63F3AF-2087-4872-BDC2-E240B3F1A507.jpeg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help on the meds but if you're planning to quarantine three tangs plus your other fish in a 20 gallon, you may be signing their death cert. The stress from those cramped quarters could invariably make these symptoms worse.

40b can be purchased at Petco all over socal for $60.

OP
OP
socal562

socal562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same. 40 breeder would be more ideal. Thanks bud

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having difficulty seeing the spots, @Jay Hemdal might have better advice. Instructions for setting up a quarantine tank are provided in a stick on this forum.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I can see some diffuse spotting on the YT in the second picture, and indeed, that could be ich. Some people have reported success with Polyp Lab Medic. I've not used that, but peroxides can potentially control ich, although it isn't a standard cure.

I agree with the others - setting up a 20 gallon, on the fly, to treat all of these fish is going to be very tricky. Ammonia can easily get out of control, and if you use Cupramine, you won't be able to use ammonia removers to combat that. Then, there is the simple issue of putting that many fish in a 20 gallon tank (looks like you have 20+ fish?).

I see two possible ways to go here - stay the course with the Polyp Lab Medic (but it doesn't seem to be slowing things down yet?) or setting up a 40 gallon tank with bacteria from your display (filter media, plus bacteria in a bottle products) and get them in copper right away. Neither are really good solutions I'm afraid!

I could be wrong, but it looks like the infection is beyond the point where "ich management" will work - adding a UV sterilizer, siphoning the sand daily to remove the ich tomonts and changing water to keep it as pristine as possible.

Jay

OP
OP
socal562

socal562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the help, I really appreciated and will be setting up a 40g quarantine tank and hope for the best! What’s the best way to control the ammonia If that start to spike? Water changes and add more copper to make up the volume of water pulled out?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the help, I really appreciated and will be setting up a 40g quarantine tank and hope for the best! What’s the best way to control the ammonia If that start to spike? Water changes and add more copper to make up the volume of water pulled out?
Yes - that is the best way to handle ammonia in a QT, but if it gets out of control, the amount of water changes needed could be very high. If you have anything in your DT that has beneficial bacteria growing on it that could be moved to the QT, that will help. You just need to avoid using calcium based substrate that could absorb the copper.

jay

OP
OP
socal562

socal562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some bio blocks and couple bags of media in the sump I can use, or will it absorb the copper?

OP
OP
socal562

socal562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to take quiet some time as I have to remove all the rock to catch fish’s.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some bio blocks and couple bags of media in the sump I can use, or will it absorb the copper?
Most of those media are inert and won't absorb copper. I would definitely use them!

Jay

OP
OP
socal562

socal562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay! Also filteration would it cut it with maybe a power head and oxygen stone?

TL44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to hear about this. Beautiful set up too man. I hope you can restore everything back to normal conditions.
how long have have you had this set up?

OP
OP
socal562

socal562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to hear about this. Beautiful set up too man. I hope you can restore everything back to normal conditions.
how long have have you had this set up?
Just over a year. Thanks man!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay! Also filteration would it cut it with maybe a power head and oxygen stone?
You also need some sort of mechanical filter to take out particles. Most people use a HOB filter.

Jay

OP
OP
socal562

socal562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey jay so comes to find out I did indeed have marine velvet. I lost fish slowly each day. Signs of heavy breathing and some even stuck in my powerhead. My question is now how long do I leave my DT fishless? I have all my corals and inverts there. The rest are in quarantine with copper in separate tank and hoping the best. Any help would be appreciated.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back