Ick med help and some guidance

thedudeness1125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day,

Start off with, im 3 months into the hobby, and will do my best to fill in the info per Jay Hemdal :)
I've got a new 20 gal waterbox, and a 10 gal quarantine tank. The waterbox has been cycled since Nov. and the quarantine tank about Dec.
Running my water at 79F, Salinity 1.026, Ammonia @ or < .5ppm as best i can read via the API test. zero nitrite and nitrate. In addition ive got the QT over 13ft from the DT.

I picked up a true percula clown, green chromis, and a cleaner shrimp. With some guidance from a friend on the freshwater side, i dosed fritz paraclense, maracyn and Ich-X as soon as i put them in the QT. Monitored for 2 weeks. Noticed what appeared to be ich on the clown, going off of the index on here so i started treatment of the Ich-x, dosing 5 ml and 50% water change before each dose for a week. Monitored another 2 weeks. lol being new to the hobby 2 weeks is plenty long enough to wait to put these guys in the DT. Cut to a couple days in and HELLO GORGEOUS as you can see in the photo. Looks to me like both fish got problems. clown's tail has Ich, and the chromis looks like he's got the black strain. Pulled those two out and treating with Ich-x, leaving the cleanier shrimp in the DT.

Okay, all that said brings me to my question. Treating these guys with meds, is there a cut off point? That was one of the reasons i cut the treatment short during the initial treatment. The clown wasn't looking so hot. My concern is with there organs and whatnot. I don't want to smoke little guys kidneys or whatever trying to treat a common cold.

And am i in the wrong for keeping the shrimp in the dt? He aint going to keep the strain going while im working on treating the other two?

Thanks for your help

IMG_20210207_163136680.jpg IMG_20210227_204506693.jpg

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day,

Start off with, im 3 months into the hobby, and will do my best to fill in the info per Jay Hemdal :)
I've got a new 20 gal waterbox, and a 10 gal quarantine tank. The waterbox has been cycled since Nov. and the quarantine tank about Dec.
Running my water at 79F, Salinity 1.026, Ammonia @ or < .5ppm as best i can read via the API test. zero nitrite and nitrate. In addition ive got the QT over 13ft from the DT.

I picked up a true percula clown, green chromis, and a cleaner shrimp. With some guidance from a friend on the freshwater side, i dosed fritz paraclense, maracyn and Ich-X as soon as i put them in the QT. Monitored for 2 weeks. Noticed what appeared to be ich on the clown, going off of the index on here so i started treatment of the Ich-x, dosing 5 ml and 50% water change before each dose for a week. Monitored another 2 weeks. lol being new to the hobby 2 weeks is plenty long enough to wait to put these guys in the DT. Cut to a couple days in and HELLO GORGEOUS as you can see in the photo. Looks to me like both fish got problems. clown's tail has Ich, and the chromis looks like he's got the black strain. Pulled those two out and treating with Ich-x, leaving the cleanier shrimp in the DT.

Okay, all that said brings me to my question. Treating these guys with meds, is there a cut off point? That was one of the reasons i cut the treatment short during the initial treatment. The clown wasn't looking so hot. My concern is with there organs and whatnot. I don't want to smoke little guys kidneys or whatever trying to treat a common cold.

And am i in the wrong for keeping the shrimp in the dt? He aint going to keep the strain going while im working on treating the other two?

Thanks for your help

IMG_20210207_163136680.jpg IMG_20210227_204506693.jpg
I’m not sure if shrimp can carry ich but I’ll let someone else chime in there. I don’t believe so but I find myself to be wrong on multiple fronts on occasion.

Anyhow, what I do know is when I treat for ich I use copper and they will eventually adjust to their living standards in copper. It’s hard to tell from the pictures but I’d get another or two could be a different issue I.e fin rot, I don’t see the spots but I could be blind also lol.

IMO there isn’t a cut off but if they start to do worse under treatment, and the medication is the cause then I’d lighten the dose or get them off it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back