Ick on clowns and coral beauty

Jordan92595

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I just noticed ick on my coral beauty and my ocellerus clowns...

HOW DO I TREAT THEM??

also i have coppersafe but im reading its not good for invertabrates which i

I DO NOT HAVE A QUARENTINE TANK!!!

i have corals and lots of rock.

Whats the safest thing i can do or treat the tank with to remove the parasites without killing anything in the tank

image.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up chasing ich. I wasted an entire year of my life doing hypo salinity for 3 months. Then copper for months. Then hypo again. Then tank transfer. Then going fallow yada yada... ich always came back somehow.

I just manage it now. I use a large uv sterilizer. Keep the tank stress free. And use 50 micron filter pads. Ich is generally 25 to 220 microns. I figured 50 micron pads might help to capture free floating parasites. In combo with the uv sterilizer i brought ich frim exploding purportions to occasionally seeing it every now and then.

I will never treat ich again unless it got extremely serious. Its just a giant waste of time. Especially when you have like 100+ corals.. moving them abd tearing down your rocks to catch the fish... plus having as many large fish and just lots of fish in general requires a big qt tank.. ive killed fish doing hypo and copper... some fish cant handle copper or hypo so you gatta do one and another on other fish.. its just a giant pain..But thats just me

OP
OP
J

Jordan92595

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up chasing ich. I wasted an entire year of my life doing hypo salinity for 3 months. Then copper for months. Then hypo again. Then tank transfer. Then going fallow yada yada... ich always came back somehow.

I just manage it now. I use a large uv sterilizer. Keep the tank stress free. And use 50 micron filter pads. Ich is generally 25 to 220 microns. I figured 50 micron pads might help to capture free floating parasites. In combo with the uv sterilizer i brought ich frim exploding purportions to occasionally seeing it every now and then.

I will never treat ich again unless it got extremely serious. Its just a giant waste of time. Especially when you have like 100+ corals.. moving them abd tearing down your rocks to catch the fish... plus having as many large fish and just lots of fish in general requires a big qt tank.. ive killed fish doing hypo and copper... some fish cant handle copper or hypo so you gatta do one and another on other fish.. its just a giant pain..But thats just me
I feel you on that one. I ended up loosing almost all of my fish due to the transfer to quarentine tank with copper. Now ive gotten ick a couple times and just stability stability stability along with some cleaner shrimp and its gone away everytime

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure ich is buried too deep for a cleaner shrimp.

I did ich management for like 10 years then did TTM and fallow as I am upgrading to a larger tank and I just want to run a system where I can add even the most ich prone fish If I want to. I set up a coral QT to fallow all my corals in before they go in the DT. Also a great way to catch coral pests.

So far it is the best thing I ever did. I assume people get ich back when they add a coral or snail or such. Probably not useful to QT all fish for ich if you don't QT everything wet.

Otherwise just buy a huge $$$ UV and feed well and limit stress/fighting.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other options are you referring to ?
All of the options aside from ich management.

You should treat the ich if it's a new build. A treatment tank does not have to be a fancy affair: all you need is a large tupperware bin, some type of powerhead and, preferably, a hang-on-back filter, and a heater.

You can try kick-ich directly in your display. I wouldn't because I frankly haven't read any reviews -- positive or otherwise -- on whether it provides a long-lasting solution.

You can try hyposalinity if you remove your corals and inverts. That doesn't sound particularly attractive to me, either.

You can try the TTM method, as noted. It's faster than copper treatment, and effective, if done correctly.

I'd treat with copper or do the TTM and leave coral and inverts in your DT. You'll have to go fallow for at least 45 days, but that's easier than it sounds. In the future, I'd just keep a jar for incoming frags. I have one jar with a gorgonian, trumpet coral, some blue cloves, a Kenya Tee, and some stylophora. It's kind of messy right now, because it's in direct sunlight, but it's low maintenance. Just a light, an airstone, and a nano heater.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back