Ick or velvet???

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry - I probably wasn't completely cure - I believe that Ruby Reef Rally Pro HELPS Ich - but it's recommended for use with 'Kick Ich' - made by the same company. I wondered if in combination with Hyposalinity - whether Ruby Reef Rally Pro would help mitigate some of the fear of velvet - which the OP was asking about
No addresses velvet but not ich and Kich0ich is a product I do not trust.
Its strong and ive seen more fish die from it than cured opposed to copper, TTM, etc

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No addresses velvet but not ich and Kich0ich is a product I do not trust.
Its strong and ive seen more fish die from it than cured opposed to copper, TTM, etc
Thanks - on the Ruby Reef site - it is not clear - it says effective against 'external parasites, including velvet, etc'. For cryptocaryon - they recommend it in combination with Kick Ich.

OP
OP
S

scootPrime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ruby reef stuff seems to have terrible reviews. At this point I think I’m going to just pull all the fish/coral put them through QT and drain the tank. Vacuum all the sand out and fill it up with freshwater. If I add bleach to the water and let it run through all the equipment and rockscape will this sterilize all the rock and equipment to get rid of any parasites possibly being dormant? I would then drain the tank and fill it up with freshwater once more to rinse any leftover bleach. Then add back saltwater. I don’t see any faster way to get the fish back and healthy in the tank. Does this sound like a terrible idea? I figure 30 days QT and the fish can be back in a huge tank vs 76days stuck in a QT stressed out and maybe risk ick still being dormant in the tank.

Bolek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something similar, ich or velvet, and for me worked perfectly the h2o2 peroxide method promoted by Jessica
index.php
After a few days most of the fish were infected, and the treatment worked like magic in 3 days. None of the fish or coral have died, I can only recommend, if it is hard to get the fish out (in my reef tank its nearly impossible for many fish)

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any known way to 100% confirm whether it is ick or velvet besides observing. Id hate to go hypo and it turn out to be velvet and it get the best of the fish. Could you take a swab of the fish and examine under a microscope possibly?
If it's velvet, your fish will not live long. It kills quickly.

One additional suggestion is to get Ruby Reef Hydroplex and give them a 10 minute saltwater dip. It is low stress and will kill the bugs on their body. Jay's recommendation(s) still need to be followed.

On catching fish, I use tulle netting from Jo Anne's fabrics to section off parts of my tank or wrap around rocks as needed.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The ruby reef stuff seems to have terrible reviews. At this point I think I’m going to just pull all the fish/coral put them through QT and drain the tank. Vacuum all the sand out and fill it up with freshwater. If I add bleach to the water and let it run through all the equipment and rockscape will this sterilize all the rock and equipment to get rid of any parasites possibly being dormant? I would then drain the tank and fill it up with freshwater once more to rinse any leftover bleach. Then add back saltwater. I don’t see any faster way to get the fish back and healthy in the tank. Does this sound like a terrible idea? I figure 30 days QT and the fish can be back in a huge tank vs 76days stuck in a QT stressed out and maybe risk ick still being dormant in the tank.
I think thats best as well. Was just trying to give you every option that number pr purple tangs deserve - special care:)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think thats best as well. Was just trying to give you every option that number pr purple tangs deserve - special care:)
If it's velvet, your fish will not live long. It kills quickly.

One additional suggestion is to get Ruby Reef Hydroplex and give them a 10 minute saltwater dip. It is low stress and will kill the bugs on their body. Jay's recommendation(s) still need to be followed.

On catching fish, I use tulle netting from Jo Anne's fabrics to section off parts of my tank or wrap around rocks as needed.
NO - I would not do that - just leave your original tank fallow 60-70 days. the parasites should be gone

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry - no - I would not reset/restart the entire tank. You just need to make sure that you leave the tank without fish for 60-80 days - there are multiple protocols. I choose 76 days

OP
OP
S

scootPrime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - no - I would not reset/restart the entire tank. You just need to make sure that you leave the tank without fish for 60-80 days - there are multiple protocols. I choose 76 days
Is there a reason why not? It seems like more of a sure way to disinfect the tank of parasites compared to hoping I don't have a crazy strain of ich that lives past 76 days or sits dormant. Not trying to sound like I'm against your opinion in any way. I appreciate everyone and all your input I just want to gather all the information I can to make the best decision for me. With it being such a new reef tank, I don't see it hurting much but the tanks cycle and my money on salt, bleach and new sand.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can any help me out with my angle fish?
Purchase it online about a week ago, it in my qt system, not sure if it’s just got beat up.
There are to spots, one by him fin(fin his mission half of it, also the two spots( you can only see the one by the fin. The spot looks lake a knot

Hi, I was reviewing this thread and I saw your post. It works best if you start your own thread about your angelfish's issue. At the same time, check out this link to give us more information about the tank and the fish:

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there a reason why not? It seems like more of a sure way to disinfect the tank of parasites compared to hoping I don't have a crazy strain of ich that lives past 76 days or sits dormant. Not trying to sound like I'm against your opinion in any way. I appreciate everyone and all your input I just want to gather all the information I can to make the best decision for me. With it being such a new reef tank, I don't see it hurting much but the tanks cycle and my money on salt, bleach and new sand.
The reason is you can never 'totally disinfect' your tank anyway. Leaving it fallow will get rid of most of the parasites - QTing future fish - will go a long way to your goal. Every fish you bring in to the tank may have Uronema (which can only be beaten by disinfection). That said Uronema is not very transmissible to most fish. The problem you can end up disinfecting your tank every year - when something comes in.

OP
OP
S

scootPrime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. It’s been 7 days since I pulled the fish and started treating with copper power. A couple of the tangs are developing hlle. Is there anything else I can treat the ick for other than copper that won’t be so harsh on the fish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. It’s been 7 days since I pulled the fish and started treating with copper power. A couple of the tangs are developing hlle. Is there anything else I can treat the ick for other than copper that won’t be so harsh on the fish?
Copper doesn’t cause HLLE. You need to avoid carbon filtration and keep them in good water quality with a good diet. The fish may have even been exposed to carbon weeks ago it takes time to develop.

What species of tang are showing it?

Jay

OP
OP
S

scootPrime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper doesn’t cause HLLE. You need to avoid carbon filtration and keep them in good water quality with a good diet. The fish may have even been exposed to carbon weeks ago it takes time to develop.

What species of tang are showing it?

Jay
The purple tangs so zebrasoma

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple tangs so zebrasoma
Purple tangs often get HLLE so soon that importers see it in their tanks. They will sell "factory seconds" at a lower price. Most other tangs don't develop HLLE until they are in the hobbyist's tank. I suspect that your purple tangs were predisposed to it before you even got them.

Jay

OP
OP
S

scootPrime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you guys observe fish without medication before giving them the all clear? It’s been about 10 days with no copper. Everyone seems to be doing great and eating well, very active.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you guys observe fish without medication before giving them the all clear? It’s been about 10 days with no copper. Everyone seems to be doing great and eating well, very active.
If you’ve run full copper and a round of prazi and if the fish is stable, I hold them with no meds for 14 days minimum.
Jay

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back