Ick spots 1 month into copper treatment?

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure they are disappearing and reappearing. I've tried watching/looking at pictures and seeing if they return in same spots but they would take more than 36 hours to return and when they did I didn't see much correlation. His appetite is still strong, the other fish still have no symptoms, and I haven't noticed any stringy poo yet either. I haven't seen him flashing like the fish were when I started treatment and this would be the sickest he has been.

I can probably just wait a bit longer and see if another fish starts breaking out.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure they are disappearing and reappearing. I've tried watching/looking at pictures and seeing if they return in same spots but they would take more than 36 hours to return and when they did I didn't see much correlation. His appetite is still strong, the other fish still have no symptoms, and I haven't noticed any stringy poo yet either. I haven't seen him flashing like the fish were when I started treatment and this would be the sickest he has been.

I can probably just wait a bit longer and see if another fish starts breaking out.
Or, you could just call it and start the copper up again to see if that helps?
Jay

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or, you could just call it and start the copper up again to see if that helps?
Jay
If that is what you think I should do. If I put the copper back in I am locking in for another 30-40 days of copper treatment right?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is what you think I should do. If I put the copper back in I am locking in for another 30-40 days of copper treatment right?
Well, 30 days at most, but it shouldn’t have come back after the first run (grin).
Jay

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, 30 days at most, but it shouldn’t have come back after the first run (grin).
Jay
Yeah I'm going to make the QT the only active tank in the house and take all my current gear to be sterilized. I will also run the copper level closer to 2.6 than 2.4. Hopefully that will fix this.

Does ick/fish disease die if I put all my gear, dry, in a box, in the garage for a month? or would I be better off just filling it with water and white vinegar then leaving the gear in tank while the pumps run for a bit?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm going to make the QT the only active tank in the house and take all my current gear to be sterilized. I will also run the copper level closer to 2.6 than 2.4. Hopefully that will fix this.

Does ick/fish disease die if I put all my gear, dry, in a box, in the garage for a month? or would I be better off just filling it with water and white vinegar then leaving the gear in tank while the pumps run for a bit?

Vinegar is a poor sterilizing agent. Chlorine is better.

Soaking all tank tools overnight in freshwater and then allowing them to dry completely also works well (like 3 days).

Jay

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back