Ick?

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had these clownfish for about 5 days and noticed one of them has a white spot on its tail. This clown has been the more stressed out of the two. It chases its reflection and only takes one or two pellets of food at a time. The other one that doesn't have a spot is pretty chill and readily submits to the fish with the dot on its tail with the shimmy dance. Does this look like ick?
9A8FEDDC-84FF-4903-AF8F-9616088062F5.jpeg B4B26824-D778-4D93-9A34-1DEC61965DBD.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    1.6 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed this white spot on any other fish? Is there more of this white spot on your clownfish or is this the only one?
This is the only spot I have noticed. My tank only has 2 clowns in it that were introduced at the same time. They came from a same tank when purchased. The other clown looks clean.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I try using API General Cure with Cupramine Copper? How long should I dose? 30 days?
Don’t dose those at the same time. I feel that all fish should go through a proper copper quarantine followed by GC or prazipro. I’m not a huge fan of Cupramine, I think coppersafe or copper power is safer. Either way, you’ll need a good copper test kit.
Jay

OP
OP
P

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I think that is the best thing to do. Do you have any inverts?
I have 1 snail. I'm looking at setting up a 10 gallon QT tank to move the fish to. I should have before. Shame on me. All I can do is fix it now. First my live rock had aiptasia now my first fish have ich. Not a great start to getting back into the hobby LOL.
Don’t dose those at the same time. I feel that all fish should go through a proper copper quarantine followed by GC or prazipro. I’m not a huge fan of Cupramine, I think coppersafe or copper power is safer. Either way, you’ll need a good copper test kit.
Jay
I have a bit of a kink to work around first. I'm currently iced in and a frozen tree is blocking the driveway...so I can't go get Cure All. I can probably get some in 3 days? That's also when I can get QT supplies. I was going to set up a sponge filter so I can seed it for the QT tank to cycle it. I'm hoping to manage the ich with General Cure until I can move the fish to the treatment tank. I am ordering coppersafe and a Cu test kit.

Thus far the clowns look like they are gaining more color and looking less stressed after being moved to a new tank. Hopefully that will help them fight the ich better coupled with good food. Any advice is appreciated.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not ich keep an eye on him and see what happens those spots look blurry or translucent ick is a definite white spot not translucent or opaque. Things that seem to cause this could be ammonia or simply just slime coat I would definitely observe at this time no sense stressing the new fish even further with a ttf and cu unless you know for sure

OP
OP
P

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not ich keep an eye on him and see what happens those spots look blurry or translucent ick is a definite white spot not translucent or opaque. Things that seem to cause this could be ammonia or simply just slime coat I would definitely observe at this time no sense stressing the new fish even further with a ttf and cu unless you know for sure
I would be ecstatic if it's not ich. I am watching them closely and I'm not rushing to start pouring meds on them. the dots look more solid in person. I'm going to get supplies anyway to have a QT tank on hand. Especially since I want to stock more animals in the future. I wouldn't be able to start treating them with copper for a few weeks anyway. I'd need to cycle the QT tank and I'm not going to put copper in my main tank.

OP
OP
P

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking the posts above are correct that it's not ich. I've just been observing and the white spots on the tails have not changed. But one of the fish has developed 1 black bump and 2 white bumps on the first white stripe. On one side of the body. It doesn't show up well on the camera. Do these still look like stings or abrasions? Or something different? I don't know what could be stinging it if that's the case. I'm certain its not nipping from the other clown. This is the dominant one that used to be a little nippy but has since stopped.

Image (6).jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This looks to me like lymphocystis and is a viral, not parasitic condition. Im more comfortable with Jay's recommendation of coppersafe or even PraziPro.
Water quality AND diet plays an important role should it be Lympho.
Everything in tank looks fresh and new. Assuming the tank is new, ow long was it cycled Before introduction of fish?
What test kits are you using ?

Please confirm :
Ammonia
PH
Salinity
Temperature
Nitrate

Type of water used for tank ? ( Tap from faucet or RODI ??)

OP
OP
P

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks to me like lymphocystis and is a viral, not parasitic condition. Im more comfortable with Jay's recommendation of coppersafe or even PraziPro.
Water quality AND diet plays an important role should it be Lympho.
Everything in tank looks fresh and new. Assuming the tank is new, ow long was it cycled Before introduction of fish?
What test kits are you using ?

Please confirm :
Ammonia
PH
Salinity
Temperature
Nitrate

Type of water used for tank ? ( Tap from faucet or RODI ??)
I still have not dosed anything since I'm unsure what I'm looking at.

Everything is pretty new. It was cycled fishless for 3 weeks. Saw one ammonia spike during the cycle and never again. They're being fed Spectrum pellets daily and a pinch of Marine Cuisine once a week.

Im using an API kit and ammonia/ph seachem alert tags. Tested ammonia with kit and tags.

Ammonia: 0
PH: 7.4
Salinity: 1.024
Temperature: 78
Nitrate: 0

I'm using tap water dechlorinated with water conditioner and mixed with instant ocean.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I still have not dosed anything since I'm unsure what I'm looking at.

Everything is pretty new. It was cycled fishless for 3 weeks. Saw one ammonia spike during the cycle and never again. They're being fed Spectrum pellets daily and a pinch of Marine Cuisine once a week.

Im using an API kit and ammonia/ph seachem alert tags. Tested ammonia with kit and tags.

Ammonia: 0
PH: 7.4
Salinity: 1.024
Temperature: 78
Nitrate: 0

I'm using tap water dechlorinated with water conditioner and mixed with instant ocean.
Ph low but API is notorious for false readings and hence ythe low price of $21 for a master kit. It has disappointed MANY reefers. Please take a good size water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use API test kits and see what readings they come up with

OP
OP
P

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All readings were fine for water quality. The clown I originally spotted the spots on is starting to get more while the other one is completely clear. The bumps or things attached? are clearly raised. some look like they're under the skin. Still not sure if I should use general cure or copper.

Its hard to see them on the white stripe. they are slightly orange like maybe the spots have erupted.

Attachments

• 97BA1A90-1A0A-4C8E-86DD-257717D1BFCC.jpeg
    97BA1A90-1A0A-4C8E-86DD-257717D1BFCC.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 08C5AD87-4CB1-44D9-8C50-6AA173BD1454.jpeg
    08C5AD87-4CB1-44D9-8C50-6AA173BD1454.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 24

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All readings were fine for water quality. The clown I originally spotted the spots on is starting to get more while the other one is completely clear. The bumps or things attached? are clearly raised. some look like they're under the skin. Still not sure if I should use general cure or copper.

Its hard to see them on the white stripe. they are slightly orange like maybe the spots have erupted.
Just off the cuff, I would say try General Cure over copper at this point - this doesn't (yet) seem like a protozoan infection.

Jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back