ICP and Tin, could this be my source of tin?

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could this be my source of my tin? I got an ICP test done, which shoes elevated levels. Could this be the source? I had one of these on a maxi-jet and no hose connected to one end. So one end was exposed. I have no rusted screws, fittings or other signs that corrosion is present, just tin.

Thoughts?

plastic.JPG

Attachments

• 375 Baseline.pdf
    159.6 KB · Views: 77

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive wondered this too as the ro push connect fitting has a metal inside. Possibly tin because its soft and flexible?

Last edited:
OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is soft, as I just took it apart, if I had to guess it would almost be the same as a staple. I have been all thru my tank, it is the only thing that I have had a ah ha moment at, so we will see if it takes care of the issues, after these 6 weeks worth of water changes and a new test sent off.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is soft, as I just took it apart, if I had to guess it would almost be the same as a staple. I have been all thru my tank, it is the only thing that I have had a ah ha moment at, so we will see if it takes care of the issues, after these 6 weeks worth of water changes and a new test sent off.
What does the metal come in contact with? Just ro water or?

Tin can also come from flexible tubing as one guy found. I mean hoses. Green ones especially.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could this be my source of my tin? I got an ICP test done, which shoes elevated levels. Could this be the source? I had one of these on a maxi-jet and no hose connected to one end. So one end was exposed. I have no rusted screws, fittings or other signs that corrosion is present, just tin.

Thoughts?

plastic.JPG
If it were the cause, wouldn't more of us have elevated tin?
Looks like a common fitting.

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my case I had it attached to a maxi jet powerhead in the sump, no hose connected so there was one end that was able to contact tank water. I heard the same about the flex tubing, I have some, about 3 feet worth.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the same thing about the flex tubing, I have used the same stuff before in the past with no issues like this. I am left scratching my head honestly.
Any ill effects?
Maybe ignore til next icp test.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for certain it is the tin....
Or do you know that for a fact?

rizon25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on the push fittings causing an elevated level of tin? I ask because my tin results were elevated as well. I had 2 of those push fittings in my tank. I came across this post and just removed the fittings today. I will run another test after doing some water changes. I searched for other signs of metal in my tank. I do have vinyl tubing in my tank and this also could be a source of organotin from what I’ve read. I’ll change out the tubing next if my tin is still elevated. My sps also have not been doing well. Lps and softies seem to be okay.

B8A443B3-46B2-480D-84F8-1CE853F823C9.jpeg

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have not confirmed if that is/was the source of the tin, but what I do know.. I did 6 water changes over the course of the last 6 weeks. I sent off for another test, the original Triton ICP was out of stock so I went with ICP-Analysis. Which I think was a good thing. My tin levels are down, to 21.09. So the water changes are helping. I also found out that the new test shows I have high Chlorine. (20227.14 ppm) So I will spend the next 4 weeks to try and get that down along with the rest of the tin. additionally, the new test also allows for testing the RODI water. so that is a plus.

In hindsight I feel the Chlorine has been the issue the whole time. It kills off the good beneficial bacteria and is toxic to fish. I will give it another month (4 water changes) and test again. Hopefully I have rounded the corner with this tank and we can really start to have fun again,

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thoughts?

plastic.JPG
There was/is a concern that PVC and other plastic tubing could be a source of organotin.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back