ICP OES Comparison - Triton vs Reef Factory

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently saw Reef Factory was getting into the ICP game and at a very aggressive price point so I decided to compare it against Triton which I have been using for years. I know R2R is predominately US users, and for now I believe Reef Factory ICP is only available in Europe, but they will be expanding in the future. If you're interested in my experience please read on!

Reef Factory ICP - Round 1

I purchased my Reef Factory ICP test for £20 which was a great deal compared to Triton ICP at £30. I was a little let down to find they didn't have a lab or a hub in the UK so I'd need to send it international postage. Via Royal Mail the cheapest postage you can buy is £1.85, so all in I'm at roughly £22.

Timeline (No postal tracking) - 14 DAYS
  • August 24th - My sample test out was sent out
  • September 6th - Reef Factory sent me a notification on their app it was received at the lab
  • September 7th - Reef Factory sent me my test results

Reef Factory Analysis: https://storage.reeffactory.com/share/fb9188a683f715dd0164f75d09e09ed79e2178fe1130?t=1665176622249

Overall the results were fairly inline with my last Triton report (I do them quarterly) so I was happy. However the one anomaly was my magnesium which was way high at 2178. My mag has been rock solid on this tank for years and has never read anything approaching to 1500. I tested with my Aquaforest test kit and it was reading around 1300. I reached out to Reef Factory and after one email exchange they offered to send me a second test free of charge, which I thought was great customer service as all I was asking for was an explanation for the high result.

Reef Factory ICP - Round 2

Reef Factory ICP.jpg

This time around I decided to send the test Royal Mail tracked for £8.65 because I wanted to understand where the hold up was as my first sample took 14 days. Now this means if you're buying the test for £20, with the £8.65 postage rate you're almost at the £30 price of a Triton test.

Timeline (Postal tracking) - 10 DAYS
  • September 27th - My sample test out was sent out
  • September 30th - The package was handed off from Royal Mail to Poland customs
  • October 5th - The package was delivered to Reef Factory lab
  • October 7th - Reef Factory sent me my test results

Reef Factory Analysis: https://storage.reeffactory.com/share/a06f07d622016bc29033a6b991517fbf0857eb371121?t=1665177686293

On this second result my magnesium showed much more in line. However the interesting conversation to be had is comparing those results to Triton. When I sent out my second Reef Factory test I had the idea to compare against Triton, so both samples were taken at the same time and sent off on the same day.

Triton ICP
Triton ICP.jpg

I purchased my Triton test for £30 and as they have a lab in the UK I was able to ship it 1st Class no tracking for £1.45, so all in £31.45.

Timeline (No postal tracking) - 3 DAYS
  • September 28th - Triton sent me an email to let me know the sample had been received
  • September 29th - Triton sent me my test results
Triton Analysis: https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/icp-oes/166104

My results were in line with my previous test, Triton is tried and true from my experience, so there were no surprises.

Conclusion

The big draw for me was the savings from Reef Factory. There wasn't a major difference in the number of days it took to arrive at the lab, from the cheapest shipping (14 days) to the most expensive shipping (10 days). Meaning you can go with the cheaper shipping and save yourself £10 in total using Reef Factory over Triton. The savings comes with a trade off for the wait time. The question to ask then is how fast do you need your results? Another question I had but have not found a solid answer; does the transit time affect the results. Will 3 days with Triton get you a more accurate results than 14 days with Reef Factory?

Reef Factory is also pushing hard the fact they are the first ICP OES to give you your results via a mobile app. Honestly... I don't get the value add. Most times I actually prefer viewing my results on my computer as it's easier to read. I'm really struggling to think what getting results on your mobile app gives you that you don't get from getting results on a web version. In fact, the best I can tell the Reef Factory mobile app is just a scaled down version of the website. Though there was one bright spot:

Reef Factory Compare.png

Reef Factory gives you a side by side comparison to your previous tests. This is something Triton has been lacking for quite some time. With Triton they do have an option export your data to a CSV file which you can import into Excel. However just seeing it on the website right next to each other is really nice!

And finally the giant elephant in the room... both samples (2nd Reef Factory and only Triton) were taken at the same time and the results were quite different in some areas. On the macros Calcium had a 21 point difference, Potassium 40 point difference, Magnesium 66 point difference. I won't run all of them down, you get the point. I'm also not saying the results are night and day difference. However it does beg the question who is more accurate?

Ultimately for me; I will likely stick with Triton for the faster turnaround time and because they are established in the industry so I tend to trust them (however irrationally) a bit more right now. However in the future if Reef Factory gets a UK lab setup and they continue to offer great service I just might make the switch!

Last edited:

M4sonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comparison! I'm from Belgium and just sent my first (reef factory) icp 2 weeks ago and was wondering about accuracy as well.

I like the fact that reef factory has mobile and desktop apps to use and generally like their approach to reefing equipment. this week they announced their entry to the US market as well so hoping to see more reviews and users.

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow that’s really cool to hear, I knew there were talks about moving to the US market but hadn’t heard anything concrete.

I really like Reef Factory as well. I wanted to monitor pH without buying an Apex and their probe is the only option that gives you an app and records the history.

More competition means more innovation and ultimately lower prices, so I’m all in for it! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently saw Reef Factory was getting into the ICP game and at a very aggressive price point so I decided to compare it against Triton which I have been using for years. I know R2R is predominately US users, and for now I believe Reef Factory ICP is only available in Europe, but they will be expanding in the future. If you're interested in my experience please read on!

I purchased my Reef Factory ICP test for £20 which was a great deal compared to Triton ICP at £30. I was a little let down to find they didn't have a lab or a hub in the UK so I'd need to send it international postage. Via Royal Mail the cheapest postage you can buy is £1.85, so all in I'm at roughly £22.

• September 6th - Reef Factory sent me a notification on their app it was received at the lab

Reef Factory Analysis: https://storage.reeffactory.com/share/fb9188a683f715dd0164f75d09e09ed79e2178fe1130?t=1665176622249

Overall the results were fairly inline with my last Triton report (I do them quarterly) so I was happy. However the one anomaly was my magnesium which was way high at 2178. My mag has been rock solid on this tank for years and has never read anything approaching to 1500. I tested with my Aquaforest test kit and it was reading around 1300. I reached out to Reef Factory and after one email exchange they offered to send me a second test free of charge, which I thought was great customer service as all I was asking for was an explanation for the high result.

Reef Factory ICP.jpg

This time around I decided to send the test Royal Mail tracked for £8.65 because I wanted to understand where the hold up was as my first sample took 14 days. Now this means if you're buying the test for £20, with the £8.65 postage rate you're almost at the £30 price of a Triton test.

Reef Factory Analysis: https://storage.reeffactory.com/share/a06f07d622016bc29033a6b991517fbf0857eb371121?t=1665177686293

On this second result my magnesium showed much more in line. However the interesting conversation to be had is comparing those results to Triton. When I sent out my second Reef Factory test I had the idea to compare against Triton, so both samples were taken at the same time and sent off on the same day.

Triton ICP
Triton ICP.jpg

I purchased my Triton test for £30 and as they have a lab in the UK I was able to ship it 1st Class no tracking for £1.45, so all in £31.45.

• September 28th - Triton sent me an email to let me know the sample had been received

My results were in line with my previous test, Triton is tried and true from my experience, so there were no surprises.

Conclusion

The big draw for me was the savings from Reef Factory. There wasn't a major difference in the number of days it took to arrive at the lab, from the cheapest shipping (14 days) to the most expensive shipping (10 days). Meaning you can go with the cheaper shipping and save yourself £10 in total using Reef Factory over Triton. The savings comes with a trade off for the wait time. The question to ask then is how fast do you need your results? Another question I had but have not found a solid answer; does the transit time affect the results. Will 3 days with Triton get you a more accurate results than 14 days with Reef Factory?

Reef Factory is also pushing hard the fact they are the first ICP OES to give you your results via a mobile app. Honestly... I don't get the value add. Most times I actually prefer viewing my results on my computer as it's easier to read. I'm really struggling to think what getting results on your mobile app gives you that you don't get from getting results on a web version. In fact, the best I can tell the Reef Factory mobile app is just a scaled down version of the website. Though there was one bright spot:

Reef Factory Compare.png

Reef Factory gives you a side by side comparison to your previous tests. This is something Triton has been lacking for quite some time. With Triton they do have an option export your data to a CSV file which you can import into Excel. However just seeing it on the website right next to each other is really nice!

And finally the giant elephant in the room... both samples (2nd Reef Factory and only Triton) were taken at the same time and the results were quite different in some areas. On the macros Calcium had a 21 point difference, Potassium 40 point difference, Magnesium 66 point difference. I won't run all of them down, you get the point. I'm also not saying the results are night and day difference. However it does beg the question who is more accurate?

Ultimately for me; I will likely stick with Triton for the faster turnaround time and because they are established in the industry so I tend to trust them (however irrationally) a bit more right now. However in the future if Reef Factory gets a UK lab setup and they continue to offer great service I just might make the switch!
Nice report. Thanks.

We (@Rick Mathew ,@taricha ) also reported a multiple vendor analysis comparison. ICP can be useful if one keeps in mind that no vendor guarantees accuracy nor precision, the sampling and transfer of the sample does not follow standard practices of water testing science, and the data from multiple samples sent to the same vendor will not be identical (close though) and the variation among the samples will vary when multiple sample tests are repeated. Also, test results of elements that can be measured by hobby kits, especially Hanna tests, are likely to be closer to the truth than ICP results. ICP could be useful for testing elements for high concentration but probably not for very low concentration because of variation. Moreover, when odd results are detected, a repeat analysis is required because there is a chance that the analysis for the element in question is screwy. I half jokingly suggest folks use the cheapest vendor but send two or three identical samples to obtain an idea of the variation in the data.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up. ICP-Analysis.com in the US has an app also. Not sure about their test results though.

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Dan you make some interesting observations! I had never thought of our Hanna testers on a longer timeline being a more accurate representation. In my mind I always saw ICP as the defacto gold standard. However when you take in to account the variations from sample to sample that does highlight the value of multiple samples even performed with hobby grade tests.

Also I like your approach regarding sending two more inexpensive tests out and taking the aggregate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review!

The errent magnesium value seems a caution flag to me. Since most reefers do not have an expectation for most elements (say, bromide), folks will not know when to be concerned about problem measurements.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef Factory ICP.jpg

Triton ICP
Triton ICP.jpg

Conclusion

Reef Factory Compare.png

Ultimately for me; I will likely stick with Triton for the faster turnaround time and because they are established in the industry so I tend to trust them (however irrationally) a bit more right now. However in the future if Reef Factory gets a UK lab setup and they continue to offer great service I just might make

Reef Factory ICP.jpg

Triton ICP
Triton ICP.jpg

Conclusion

Reef Factory Compare.png

Nice write up...Thanks for sharing.

Here is a link to the article @Dan_P mentioned in his reply...We also noted an issue across all the vendors with regard to Mg measurement.

aleksanderalski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Reef Factory will soon bring to the market will be the dosing panel. That means, it will be the only ICP OES test with dosing automation function. Basing on recommendations in the ICP test results you will be able to apply automatically the correction dosages, if you are using Dosing Pump from RF of course.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Reef Factory will soon bring to the market will be the dosing panel. That means, it will be the only ICP OES test with dosing automation function. Basing on recommendations in the ICP test results you will be able to apply automatically the correction dosages, if you are using Dosing Pump from RF of course.
Wow that is a novel idea! I would need to be a lot more certain of the accuracy of their measurements before I hooked up a dosing system to respond to their results. Just my take on it

Rick

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do not see how that can work.

Individual pumps for every ion? 25 dosing pumps per tank?

A single test shows levels at an instant in time. One can only know how to correct for that exact instant. With some materials that might deplete in a couple of days. What then? Another test and another round of adjustments? How often?

M4sonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see how that can work.

Individual pumps for every ion? 25 dosing pumps per tank?

A single test shows levels at an instant in time. One can only know how to correct for that exact instant. With some materials that might deplete in a couple of days. What then? Another test and another round of adjustments? How often?
The way i understand it they mean for the dosing panel to be used with their smart tester (which is a small tester that automatically tests 1 elements of choice nitrate phosphate iodine what have you) and when it does the measurement can automatically dose to compensate.
If you get an ICP done with them they give you a dosing regimen for it and if you have a pump linked to that element the option to do it for you.
So basically like a mastertronic/dosetronic but for an element of choice and much cheaper.

For ex. i was low in iodine so they told me that i would need to dose 3.6ml for my tank size over the next 7 days to correct, if i had a dosing pump i could send that instruction directly to the pump no programming needed.

Not completely sold on the use of the automation either but might be handy in combination with a tester for something i know i might be constantly low on.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back