ICP Test Results, Help! High Tin, aluminum, lithium and silicon?!?!

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have no idea where these metals are coming from!

Aluminum is off the charts! Tin is high as well! Lithium is also in the yellow range

Then what about silicons? How can these be so high?

My RODI water reads 0 TDS change the DI resin when it gets to 1.

I’ve checked all my MP40s and do not obviously see any cracks.

I’ve checked my pumps, Cor20’s, three total one for return, one for skimmer and one for UV and I don’t see any obvious cracks.

I don’t have any magnets in the tank, remove the feeding clip right after use.

I’m at a loss here! Please help.

What can I do to fix this? Will running cuprisorb or something help?

Any other sources for these?

Thanks

076C82BB-61C0-4262-B86B-06F57CADAC37.png
DC365B54-FB4A-44F8-BC10-21D2A9EC4ACB.png

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock work? Sand bed? Somtimes these things can leach out of rock and sand. You can use phosgard or gfo for silicates. The rest will stop with time with water changes. How old is this tank?

OP
OP
N

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock work? Sand bed? Somtimes these things can leach out of rock and sand. You can use phosgard or gfo for silicates. The rest will stop with time with water changes. How old is this tank?

Thanks. Tank is about 10 months old. No sand bed, bare bottom. Rock is “life rock” man made/dry rock.

Seems to be getting worse? Not sure if I should just replace my MP40 wet-sides?

My last ICP test was 3 months ago:

Since I have started doing regular water changes but here’s what happened: First reading is 3 months ago, second one is now:

Sn/Tin: 13.0 to 2.42
Al/aluminum: 28 to 204!!!!
Lithium: 228 to 251
Silicon: 105 to 692!!!!

What gives? Should I send out ICP on my RODI water? It reads 0 TDS, but?

Or replace wet sides? I’ve looked all in my sump and I cannot find any cor20 pumps that are bad. Heaters look fine.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

OP
OP
N

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tin is likely leeching from the glass.

Really? It’s starfire glass on 3 sides. Is that even a thing? I’ve never heard of that before? Can’t really stop that?

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well let me ask you this how is everything in the tank? Water changes will help it will stop leaching at some point. I think it just needs time and water changes. The same happened to me with thick sand bed and silicates. I did use phosgard to help but this sorta thing just takes time when it comes to things we cant absorb with media. That said if the system looks fine dont worrie if it is not doing so good more water changes. How big is the system? Maybee try 20 percent water changes once a week for a little wail befor you spend more money on a test again.

OP
OP
N

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well let me ask you this how is everything in the tank? Water changes will help it will stop leaching at some point. I think it just needs time and water changes. The same happened to me with thick sand bed and silicates. I did use phosgard to help but this sorta thing just takes time when it comes to things we cant absorb with media. That said if the system looks fine dont worrie if it is not doing so good more water changes. How big is the system? Maybee try 20 percent water changes once a week for a little wail befor you spend more money on a test again.

Things are better. I had a rough spell where I lost a ton of SPS. Started doing weekly water changes which has helped get things back on track. I can now keep SPS again....

I started doing those water changes and now my aluminum and silicon are off the charts! Could it be in my RODI water?

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say do an ATI ICP & send in the RODI. Silicates won't register with a TDS meter as it doesn't have any charge. Also DI resin won't pull it because of this as well.
How old is your membrane?

Do you have any hose-clamps near the sump? Or anything metalic? Do you run any sort of phosphate adbsorber?
Are you dosing something? Anything? Like some magic juice? Any Aquaforest product?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't construe this question as an attempt to propagate a rumor against the product but are you running any ceramic media (Marine Pure block, Brightwell block, siporax...?

I run several cubic feet of the stuff without troubles for years, but there are people here that swear it leaches Al.

I sent of my first ICP two days ago after my goni got upset.

OP
OP
N

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say do an ATI ICP & send in the RODI. Silicates won't register with a TDS meter as it doesn't have any charge. Also DI resin won't pull it because of this as well.
How old is your membrane?

Do you have any hose-clamps near the sump? Or anything metalic? Do you run any sort of phosphate adbsorber?
Are you dosing something? Anything? Like some magic juice? Any Aquaforest product?

Thanks. My membranes were all just changed out. Including RO membrane. I also add the big Chloramine buster from bulk reef supply.

No metal hose clamps. All plastic hose clamps.

I run the Triton method and dose their Core additives 1-3b....nothing else.

No GFO of phosphate remover.

OP
OP
N

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't construe this question as an attempt to propagate a rumor against the product but are you running any ceramic media (Marine Pure block, Brightwell block, siporax...?

I run several cubic feet of the stuff without troubles for years, but there are people here that swear it leaches Al.

I sent of my first ICP two days ago after my goni got upset.

I added 4 of the Brightwell Aquatics Xport Bio dimpled bricks. I just added these about 3 weeks ago...do you think this could be it? hard to believe they would make a product that leaches that much???

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 4 of the Brightwell Aquatics Xport Bio dimpled bricks. I just added these about 3 weeks ago...do you think this could be it? hard to believe they would make a product that leaches that much???
That's very likely the source for all of the elements.

OP
OP
N

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very likely the source for all of the elements.

You think all these elements are from those bricks? Wouldn’t others post and say this? Wouldn’t the company correct this?

Even the silicon?

Seems crazy they would sell this knowing it will leach!

So what bio bricks/blocks are people using that do not leak this crap???

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think all these elements are from those bricks? Wouldn’t others post and say this? Wouldn’t the company correct this?

Even the silicon?

Seems crazy they would sell this knowing it will leach!

So what bio bricks/blocks are people using that do not leak this crap???

TBF it was a wild guess from me, I wouldn't draw conclusions based on one random forum members reaction.

OP
OP
N

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have silicates in the RODI water how can I remove them? Add more filters?

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your RODI filter setup? Does it have pressure full time or do you turn it on when you need new water? If so, do you flush it with each use? I had a similar problem with silicates and discovered I wasn't using my RODI properly.. I wasn't flushing before each use and silicates were making their way into my water. I also added more stages, I have a filter, 2 carbons, 2 DI resins.. no more silicates..

OP
OP
N

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your RODI filter setup? Does it have pressure full time or do you turn it on when you need new water? If so, do you flush it with each use? I had a similar problem with silicates and discovered I wasn't using my RODI properly.. I wasn't flushing before each use and silicates were making their way into my water. I also added more stages, I have a filter, 2 carbons, 2 DI resins.. no more silicates..

Thanks. I have the 6 stage unit from BRS. Then I added the extra Chloramine buster from BRS before my RO membrane.

I shut it off between uses. I do flush it after every use. Not before. Maybe I’ll try to flush it before each use for 5-10 minutes.

Still dumbfounded by how high these stupid metals are! If it’s not the MPs then could it be the bright well export bio blocks?

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have the 6 stage unit from BRS. Then I added the extra Chloramine buster from BRS before my RO membrane.

I shut it off between uses. I do flush it after every use. Not before. Maybe I’ll try to flush it before each use for 5-10 minutes.

Still dumbfounded by how high these stupid metals are! If it’s not the MPs then could it be the bright well export bio blocks?
Send in a rodi ati icp test. That could rule out your rodi. But my guess is still on the blocks

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's how I do it. I turn it on, flush with the TDS meter on, and I keep flushing until TDS reads 0. While flushing, my TDS will count down from like 80 to 0. There's a good chance you're putting TDS into your fresh water. I'm no metal expert, but it seems they could be coming from your source water as well.. What is your source water? Is it well or city? If city, check with their website for a water report..

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Many are quick to assume this is the case -- especially with Marine Pure. I followed multiple threads here and on RC on the topic. Some posters deployed scientific methods to rule them out, while others ruled them in as the culprit. There was not enough of a control group to be conclusive IMO. There are several potential contamination factors (sand, rock, water, other) to consider as well as removal tools (GFO, poly pads, etc) that are not controlled for.

As said, I run SIX 8 X 4 X 4 MP blocks and aside from them consuming too much nitrate I have had no problems. It was posited a few times that leathers are susceptible to Al but am mostly SPS with the occasional LPS and zoa doing fine.

Let you know when my ICP comes back. If they are high, honestly, I don't think I will be doing anything differently. Unless you are a leather person (the aquarium kind) I would not be too concerned about Al. Tin and silicate I cannot speak to.

Happy to hear others thoughts though. I learn something new here every day.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back