ID algae

soxford27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help me figure out what algae this is. I think it is turf algae. I’ve gone through three sea hares and have a lot of snails, hermits, and a lawnmower blenny to help with this algae but it is growing fast through out my rock work. Water changes 20% every two weeks. Any recommendations would be great!
Salinity : 1.025
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
Calcium: 450
Alkalinity: 9
B57D9133-8151-49C7-BFAB-00653EBC4CEC.jpeg
2DAECDDB-DD01-43E9-AB1B-D849904BB8B3.jpeg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell since it is so short, but looks like either GHA or Turf. I would start by lowering nitrates a bit. What are your phosphates at? How long as the tank been set up? How much are you feeding?

OP
OP
S

soxford27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell since it is so short, but looks like either GHA or Turf. I would start by lowering nitrates a bit. What are your phosphates at? How long as the tank been set up? How much are you feeding?
Phosphate is .25. Tank has been up for over a year and I feed every other day with new life spectrum. Just a small pinch. Most the time I feed my tank once every few days.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you are using the API phosphate test? If so, you might want to pick up a test kit (such as the Hanna) that tests lower range. I personally would start by lowering phosphates and nitrates (being careful not to bottom them out). Manually pull out as much as you can and scrub areas with a toothbrush in the tank and let the CUC do their work. I would also blow the rocks out with a turkey baster nightly until things get back under control. There are more aggressive things you can do but most of them come with extra risks (Vibrant, Fluconazole, Hydrogen Peroxide, etc). I am actually fighting the exact same thing. Just noticed you are in Cleveland.....small world :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back