ID and Thoughts on how to proceed

boyer.michael.s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a week ago I notices white dots on my purple tang. There were only a couple dots which I thought were particles floating in the tank as the tang and my clowns like to kick up the sand quite often. Over the next few days they disappeared. Today I notice they are back and wonder, is this ICH? I had something in my tank early in the process of setting this tank up which led me to QT all fish in copper and prazi and also do a 76 day fallow period during that time on the DT at 81F. Copper was monitored daily and kept between 2.38-2.5 at any given time. No items were used between the QT setup and the display and QT is downstairs and DT is upstairs. Since QTing all fish and putting them back into DT, I have not added anything new to the tank. If this is ICH what do you think my best course of action would be knowing I just came out of a proper QTing protocol on August 1st. There are very few inverts in the tank and only 3 corals.

Other fish in tank are a pair of clowns, 3 pajama cardinals, and a Fiji blue damsel. None current are showing signs of anything wrong.

Thanks for any advice.

IMG_1435.jpg IMG_1434.jpg IMG_1433.jpg IMG_1432.jpg IMG_1430.jpg IMG_1427.jpg

Goby Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to try a freshwater dip for 5 minutes. If you see white spots coming off, then it has flukes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not flukes but given size of nodules- Ich
Skip the FW dip which can strress your fish out and prepare treatment in a quarantine tank using either coppersafe or Copperpower at therapuetic level 2.25-2.5 for a FULL 30 days monitorong the copper level with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna Brand- No Api brand.
The display tank it is currenly in will have to be fishless(fallow) for 6-8 weeks to assure the trophants and cysts live out their life cycle without a host fish and die off.
Inrease aeration with air stone during treatment and DO monitor ammonia level also with a reliable test kit during treatment.

OP
OP
B

boyer.michael.s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not flukes but given size of nodules- Ich
Skip the FW dip which can strress your fish out and prepare treatment in a quarantine tank using either coppersafe or Copperpower at therapuetic level 2.25-2.5 for a FULL 30 days monitorong the copper level with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna Brand- No Api brand.
The display tank it is currenly in will have to be fishless(fallow) for 6-8 weeks to assure the trophants and cysts live out their life cycle without a host fish and die off.
Inrease aeration with air stone during treatment and DO monitor ammonia level also with a reliable test kit during treatment.
Thanks for the confirmation. What do you think went wrong potentially the first time treating fish/fallow tank period? I followed jays guide precisely. Used separate tools and kept everything in separate rooms on separate floors of house even. Anything extra I should try while doing this process all over again? I use Hannah checker to monitor copper and have tested it for accuracy.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the confirmation. What do you think went wrong potentially the first time treating fish/fallow tank period? I followed jays guide precisely. Used separate tools and kept everything in separate rooms on separate floors of house even. Anything extra I should try while doing this process all over again? I use Hannah checker to monitor copper and have tested it for accuracy.
Can be lower therapuetic level than required, disruption in treatment cycle or need for additional dosage

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It does look like ich, especially with the observation of the spots coming and going....

With full copper and a 76 day fallow period, you can't really do much more than that.

Were there any other biosecurity issues (new invertebrates added, etc.)?

Jay

OP
OP
B

boyer.michael.s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like ich, especially with the observation of the spots coming and going....

With full copper and a 76 day fallow period, you can't really do much more than that.

Jay
No other additions at all. All my inverts in the tank were the same that were present during fallow period. Same goes for the coral. I will just remove the fish at this point and copper treat again and then wait out another 76 days and see what happens.

If I raise temperature more doesn’t that shorten the fallow period?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other additions at all. All my inverts in the tank were the same that were present during fallow period. Same goes for the coral. I will just remove the fish at this point and copper treat again and then wait out another 76 days and see what happens.

If I raise temperature more doesn’t that shorten the fallow period?

It does, but there is a risk for stressing the invertebrates.

If your treatment tank is ready to go, I would advise waiting a bit - no sense in rushing into it if it actually isn't ich. Luckily, with ich, you have some time. Two things to watch for; 1) spots that come and go, but generally increase in numbers and 2) new fish starting to show spots.

I'd hate to have you go through all this again only to find out this was simply mucus plugs or something else of little consequence. The first two images above show spots that are too large to be ich.

jay

Goby Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
thats what I said! Could be flukes of lymphocysts though.

Back