ID bacterial globs on rock... microscope pic attached. Too small to be dinos.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a cyano outbreak a few months back, doses chemiclean, then a minor Dino outbreak solved with UV and Microbacter 7... then diatoms, Now I have this snotty globs that sort of look like Dino but don’t get air bubbles. Nothing seems bothered by it, but it’s growing everywhere. Under a scope, it looks incredibly small... much smaller than dinos cyano and diatoms.

tank was setup in June after moving it, so it’s not new, but had a major move which might have created an imbalance.
X40
146D9246-09A8-443E-B9D7-D44909C0AB42.jpeg

X250
E2ECCED7-4296-4022-9624-10757A144C85.jpeg

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me like chrysophyte l. Some good info here:

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me like chrysophyte l. Some good info here:

Thanks! Likes like you might be right however looked like a lot of opposing ‘cures’ but not everyone IDed under a microscope.

you know if there is a consensus? Seems like people tried vibrant, fluc, peroxide, blackouts, high NO3 and PO4 and even low nutrients and GFO worked for some but not all...

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Likes like you might be right however looked like a lot of opposing ‘cures’ but not everyone IDed under a microscope.

you know if there is a consensus? Seems like people tried vibrant, fluc, peroxide, blackouts, high NO3 and PO4 and even low nutrients and GFO worked for some but not all...
I can tell you what worked for me and what didn’t.
Things that didn’t work fit me.
Lights out.
Dosing bottled bac (MB7, waste Away, ZEObac)
Fluconazole

helped:
Manual removal (siphon into filter sock daily)
Dosing NO3 and PO4 to keep levels 5-10 and 0.05-0.1
Vibrant

but final blow was adding real live rock and live sand from the keys, while doing manual removal, vibrant and nosing no3 and po4.

use caution if you decide to use vibrant because some have bad outcomes when using.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, looks very similar.

I may have to dose some Na3PO4. My phosphates are 0.02 and nitrates are just over 5 ppm. I feed really heavy for my bioload so this stuff must be sucking up a lot of that. I may skip vibrant for now since this stuff is not bothering anything. Maybe I will see if I can find a little piece of quality LR somewhere.

Question, did you skimmer make really thick skimmate that wouldn't pop? Mine has been foaming heavily, pushing the lid up and foaming over like a beer commercial. Only pops when I wipe the sides with a paper towel.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good news is the tank still looks amazing about an hour after scrubbing and letting it filter out in my sump. So it gets 'dirty' looking quick, but cleans up nice.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, looks very similar.

I may have to dose some Na3PO4. My phosphates are 0.02 and nitrates are just over 5 ppm. I feed really heavy for my bioload so this stuff must be sucking up a lot of that. I may skip vibrant for now since this stuff is not bothering anything. Maybe I will see if I can find a little piece of quality LR somewhere.

Question, did you skimmer make really thick skimmate that wouldn't pop? Mine has been foaming heavily, pushing the lid up and foaming over like a beer commercial. Only pops when I wipe the sides with a paper towel.
No. My skimmer foam was normal.

make sure to use a filter sock because that will catch any that is in the water column. The good thing is it is easy to remove manually with a siphon. It just grew back wishing a day in my tank. But mine was brand new and no biodiversity because I started with dead rock.

agree with waiting on the vibrant. That was a last resort in my case after a month or more of trying other things.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided I am going to try manual removal by scrubbing the rocks and glass as much as possible, use filter floss to catch anything the water and use UV in the DT for a few weeks to kill anything waterborne so it can't settle and grow again. hopefully this will kill off any of the uglies in the tank.

After a few hours, my tank looks sparkly clean. Lets see how fast it grows back...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back