ID help after tank reset..cyanos & dinos or sth. else?

Chepre01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
1,5 months ago I had to restart/rebuild my 200 gal tank (another story). Removed some rocks, emptied tank nearly, refilled again half "old" water and new water, changed sand fully.

Since then i have

1. brownish algae on top the sand (maybe diatoms?), not somewhere else, not on rocks, not on corals. I root around in the sand with a stick every 2 days and the day after it is back on the top. Not sure if it is really dinos, i dont have any "bubbles" on the algaes. Also have to mention that my galls was pretty fast coverd of some same brownish layer. When i cleaned it, it fell off the glass, also falling down on the sand. Not sure if there is a connection and if it is the same algae i scrubbed from the glass, which is now on/in the sand.

Also have the impression during night when i switch on white lights only for 1 min they are by far not tgat visible like during the day.

2. red fluffy algae on rocks. Every 2 days cleaning it our with a toothbrush, also removing some floating stufff out with a net. Also not sure if this is really cyanos. All the cyano pics i saw, where also red but like a smooth carpet on the rocks. my algaes are always super fluffy and also dont have and bubbles on it. Also the stick pretty tough on the rocks, it would not be possible just do vaccum them out.

For the moment I am not dosing anything extraordinary or any of these 1000 bacterias I ve read. My shop told me I have to be patient and just clean it from time to time with a brush, to make it just "uncomfortable" for the algaes so they dont increase. Not sure of this method cause a lot of mini algaes are floating around in the tank what maybe could stick somewhere else again and start growing.

Starting now to get super annoying to clean every 2 days my tank with a brush, takes a lot of time and effort.

Maybe someone can help and first identify what this really is. Thx

IMG_20230408_193916.jpg
IMG_20230408_193906.jpg

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's diatoms on the sand. Improving your flow and augmenting your cleanup crew with sand critters may help.

Not sure about the rocks. Maybe someone else has some insight?

OP
OP
C

Chepre01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By improving my flow you mean to set up a pump which is giving some extra flow over the sandbed?

Back