ID help please!

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have not been able to find this online. I was told supposedly it’s a bacterial bloom yet I have read nothing about bacterial blooms on the rock and they are only in the water column. If this is a bacterial bloom how do I get rid of a bloom on the rock and what causes them?
Nitritates, Nitrates and ammonia are zero when tested for. I don’t have a phosphate tester yet.
thanks 42E30453-3026-4C67-A3E8-9CEF73D2CFD8.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8747.MOV
    11.8 MB

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's all kinds of biofilms including sponges that can grow on sutfaces. In most cases there's nothing that can be dumped in a tank the won't also have a negative impact on the microbiomes essential for healthy reefs. You can use straws with a siphon to remove it, how fast it returns depends on what it's feeding on.

OP
OP
L

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Thanks! Problem is it comes back overnight! How would I figure out what it’s feeding on?

OP
OP
L

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's all kinds of biofilms including sponges that can grow on sutfaces. In most cases there's nothing that can be dumped in a tank the won't also have a negative impact on the microbiomes essential for healthy reefs. You can use straws with a siphon to remove it, how fast it returns depends on what it's feeding on.

Nice! I think I’ll confiscate one of those straws from my wife! Lol.
however, how do I figure out what it is feeding on?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I think I’ll confiscate one of those straws from my wife! Lol.
however, how do I figure out what it is feeding on?

I don't know. You'll have to find out what it is first and that's not going to be easy. If it's a species of sponge it may be feeding off the Dissolved Organic Carbon released by algae and corals and I'd only remove what might be encroaching on corals. Here's some more info on sponges and DOC you might interesting:

Element cycling on tropical coral reefs.
This is Jasper de Geoij's ground breaking research on reef sponges. (The introduction is in Dutch but the content is in English.)

Sponge symbionts and the marine P cycle

Phosphorus sequestration in the form of polyphosphate by microbial symbionts in marine sponges

Differential recycling of coral and algal dissolved organic matter via the sponge loop.
Sponges treat DOC from algae differently than DOC from corals

Surviving in a Marine Desert The Sponge Loop Retains Resources Within Coral Reefs
Dissolved organic carbon and nitrogen are quickly processed by sponges and released back into the reef food web in hours as carbon and nitrogen rich detritus.

The Role of Marine Sponges in Carbon and Nitrogen Cycles of COral Reefs and Nearshore Environments.

Coral and macroalgal exudates vary in neutral sugar composition and differentially enrich reef bacterioplankton lineages.

Sugar enrichment provides evidence for a role of nitrogen fixation in coral bleaching

Excess labile carbon promotes the expression of virulence factors in coral reef bacterioplankton

Unseen players shape benthic competition on coral reefs.

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back