ID: Ich or Velvet?

XFeathersx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an ich or velvet breakout in my DT in June and I pulled the fish out and treated via TTM. I read you shouldn't take a puffer completely out of the water so they don't suck in air and hurt themselves, so inevitably some water got transferred every time, and 6 weeks later the fish is looking like the start again. I'm attached to my puffer so I don't want to risk copper. It seems my only option to knock it out, regardless of whether it is ich or velvet is the magical, expensive, chloroquine. Because it sounds like velvet is immune to hypo, and some ich is resistant too. What would you recommend?

Attachments

• 20210903_202626.mp4
    31.5 MB

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet isn’t usually a disease that you see until a fish is dead so I would say it’s more likely to be a case of ich, I would put them through a hypo to knock most of it out and then treat with either copper or chloroquine

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet isn’t usually a disease that you see until a fish is dead so I would say it’s more likely to be a case of ich, I would put them through a hypo to knock most of it out and then treat with either copper or chloroquine
Velvet can be identified ahead of time. Post some white light pics and a short video. After that fill out as many questions you can proposed in this thread.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet can be identified ahead of time. Post some white light pics and a short video. After that fill out as many questions you can proposed in this thread.
I won’t lie, my LFS told me that velvet cant always been known about ahead of time, but I guess with any disease it can be found and stopped before anything bad happens

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won’t lie, my LFS told me that velvet cant always been known about ahead of time, but I guess with any disease it can be found and stopped before anything bad happens
Your LFS is mistaken - velvet (Amyloodinium) kills very quickly, but the first, and sometime only symptom is rapid breathing. The affected fish will breath at 100+ beats per minute, and may swim into water currents to try and get more oxygen. People may miss this symptom due to not knowing what "rapid breathing" is, but it is really obvious if you know how your fish had been breathing prior to the infection.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an ich or velvet breakout in my DT in June and I pulled the fish out and treated via TTM. I read you shouldn't take a puffer completely out of the water so they don't suck in air and hurt themselves, so inevitably some water got transferred every time, and 6 weeks later the fish is looking like the start again. I'm attached to my puffer so I don't want to risk copper. It seems my only option to knock it out, regardless of whether it is ich or velvet is the magical, expensive, chloroquine. Because it sounds like velvet is immune to hypo, and some ich is resistant too. What would you recommend?

A pink puffer! What lights do you have on? Can you retry the video, but taken under white lights?

I don't see rapid breathing that would indicate velvet, but the video colors are off, so I can tell if there are ich trophonts in its skin or not.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Velvet can be seen and is similar to ich in which with ich you can count the dots. With velvet, there are so many it looks like the solar system or dusty in appearance as well as fish swimming into the water current for relief.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your LFS is mistaken - velvet (Amyloodinium) kills very quickly, but the first, and sometime only symptom is rapid breathing. The affected fish will breath at 100+ beats per minute, and may swim into water currents to try and get more oxygen. People may miss this symptom due to not knowing what "rapid breathing" is, but it is really obvious if you know how your fish had been breathing prior to the infection.

Jay
Yeah, I guess every disease has a way of displaying its self even if it’s one of the more unnoticeable displays

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet can be seen and is similar to ich in which with ich you can count the dots. With velvet, there are so many it looks like the solar system or dusty in appearance as well as fish swimming into the water current for relief.
this is true, my LFS has been going down hill quickly ever since the experienced aquarist that basically ran it had left to open his own shop

so it’s no surprise they don’t say the main displays of certain diseases because they want to sell a lot more fish (Which I think is VERY upsetting for the fish because they’re just being used for profit and not really being cared about)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back