[ID] Mystery Algae popping up from sandbed

PhantomCavie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed that this strange algae has been popping up in the sandbed. It almost looks like chaeto in the fact that it appears in small green tubes/ropes. Anyone have any experience this before? I've been keeping up with water changes every 10 days or so. Anyone know something that eats this stuff?

Thanks!

Ob2xh6J.jpg

OP
OP
PhantomCavie

PhantomCavie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's not feathery at all though, which is weird. There are no branches and some pieces are nearly 2 inches in length. It feels wirey rather than feathery

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the beginnings of bryopsis to me. There's two forms I've seen in tanks, where they start with a smoother stalk like the one you pictured and then eventually comes the feathery stuff. Get rid of it ASAP!

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's any chance it's bryopsis, I would remove that frag rack and do as much manual removal as possible. I'd then take the whole rack (frags excluded) and dip it in a 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and tank water. Leave it there for 10 minutes or so and then remove it. Rinse it off with tank water and put it back in the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back