ID NEEDED

Icedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About two weeks ago I first noticed this animal growing in my rock, and I know I didn't put any livestock in that particular spot. It's the little guy in the center of the attached video, just below the mushrooms and about the same color as the rock, with waving arms.

I had purchased a green BTA from my LFS about 5 months ago, which actually turned out to be white in my tank's lighting. When I put that white BTA in my tank, he continually moved around for about a month, until I completely lost track of him. I figured he had died! But now I'm wondering if this could be that same anemone??? This one has the morphology of an anemone, although it's much smaller and browner than the one I had lost . . .

Any ideas on what the animal in the video could be?

https://youtu.be/nwOTvmAXGzk

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, wow! Any advice on the best way to get rid of it?

Thanks so much for your quick response!

OP
OP
I

Icedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! Really appreciate your help!

jaxredsoxfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would also suggest if you only have a few to kill with boiling water or some loaw PH kalk paste or something like Aptasia X - then cover the hole thety are in with a small patch of reef putty. Sometimes they will spread if just killed and left uncovered. The more you do now with just a few, the bette rchance this will not be an ongoing fight. Good luck

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all of the above mentioned, I would also move the rock out of the Display Tank if possible to minimize the spread. I used Aiptasia-X on the one I have seen and havent seen any since, it was basically entombed in the paste though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Using a syringe, inject either lemon juice or better yet kalkwasser powder mixed into a thin paste and inject into the center core of the aptasia and watch it melt away

OP
OP
I

Icedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all of the above mentioned, I would also move the rock out of the Display Tank if possible to minimize the spread. I used Aiptasia-X on the one I have seen and havent seen any since, it was basically entombed in the paste though.

Will be going to my LFS tomorrow and hope to get some of Aiptasia X.

When you say to move the rock out of the DT, are you saying to move it out temporarily while I apply the Aiptasia X? Or permanently? I only ask because I have some mushrooms growing on that rock, and at this point I'm not sure if they're still attached to the plug so I could easily move them to another rock.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temporarily, when the Aiptasia are stressed they release spores, for a lack of better words. So if it is out of your DT you wont have to worry about that being released into the tank creating more of them. Best thing I have seen is BRS's youtube on how to treat, They advise doing putty and superglue over where it has it's footing as well.

Back