ID on something, cannot seem to find out what this is.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea on what this is? Came in on a florida live rock. It is kind of hollow, puffy and growing.

DSCN2944.JPG

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Snorkel in the Florida Keys and I can't say I've ever seen anything just like that. However, there are a lot of different tunicates and they vary wildly in shape, size, color and form. But many of them do tend to be hollow and puffy.

If it were in my tank I'd leave it for now and keep an eye on it. But then I enjoy seeing unusual things in my tank.

If I had a lot of very expensive corals, I might be inclined to pull the rock out or cover the organism with kalk paste (like killing an aiptasia). Just because I wouldn't want to risk the expensive corals.

Good luck and I'll follow along.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Snorkel in the Florida Keys and I can't say I've ever seen anything just like that. However, there are a lot of different tunicates and they vary wildly in shape, size, color and form. But many of them do tend to be hollow and puffy.

If it were in my tank I'd leave it for now and keep an eye on it. But then I enjoy seeing unusual things in my tank.

If I had a lot of very expensive corals, I might be inclined to pull the rock out or cover the organism with kalk paste (like killing an aiptasia). Just because I wouldn't want to risk the expensive corals.

Good luck and I'll follow along.

Oh no, we would never get rid of it. We are just trying to ID it to make sure we are taking care of it. The rather geometric shape of it is what is interesting.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume it doesn't move about on the rock?

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in the process of looking for it, I did ID other things I have. I have been through 30 minutes of pictures of tunicates and cannot find this exact one.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in the process of looking for it, I did ID other things I have. I have been through 30 minutes of pictures of tunicates and cannot find this exact one.

I'm not surprised. I've picked up a couple of things in the Keys that my wife and I as well as people here ID'd as tunicates. But we never found them even after extensive searches.

Back