ID on these two critters?

micahsoft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I saw some tentacles sticking out of a rock and was wondering if it was aptasia? It’s lighter colored than the aptasia on other rocks, and it doesn’t extend out so far. Almost transparent 6291B92B-DD01-4BA7-893B-FE52F051EA50.jpeg I’ll attach some other shots or a video to the post as well. Hopefully it works. Need to find that GoPro knockoff I have. But while I was taking a photo some type of worm came out from a hole directly below. It’s bristles looked a bit fuzzier than other worms in the tank. Is it a fireworm?
474C91D1-166E-48AE-8390-81F15D3C9782.jpeg
thanks for any help. I have so many cool critters hitchhiking in, some good, some bad. It’s really neat to watch. 791D1C13-ACCF-4AFC-A4F5-450F776EA596.jpeg 768F20B9-501C-45B6-B78A-1220645525C9.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2701.MOV
    5.8 MB
  • IMG_2702.MOV
    5.8 MB
OP
OP
micahsoft

micahsoft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia and bristle worm

I agree with aiptasia and bristle worms
Ok, thanks. Was wondering if fireworm cause it was kinda fuzzier than the other worms I see and had a thin amount of red running along where the bristles attach.
One of the caves looks like it may also have a small bristle star, but I can’t get a photo of it. Can barely see it myself.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
micahsoft

micahsoft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with aiptasia but I think there is a chance it may be a fireworm. A better picture of the head would tell if it is or not.
I’ll get one if it exposes itself more. Right now it’s (or a second one) higher up in a cave and I can’t get a clear picture. Hopefully it’ll venture out tonight.

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks. Was wondering if fireworm cause it was kinda fuzzier than the other worms I see and had a thin amount of red running along where the bristles attach.
When most people refer to fireworm they're talking about the bearded fireworm (Hermodice carunculata), but there are other bristleworms that can have the red at the base of the bristles and be considered by many to be a "fireworm" but not the "bad" one that most people think of. A Eurythoe complanata is an example of a worm that can have the red "gills" by the bristles but not be a bearded fireworm, but if you look it up online you will see people call it a fireworm, but it is harmless as far as I know.

The easiest way to see if a bristleworm is a bearded fireworm is by it's caruncles, which are red growths on its first few segments.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back