ID on these worms in my reef tank sand

razorskiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not as familiar with the breadth of marine species but they're a bit too big and the description of the shape doesn't sound like a nematode. Except for some endoparasites, most max out at ~1-2 mm in length and generally don't have any kind of branching structures.

OP
OP
safi

safi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not as familiar with the breadth of marine species but they're a bit too big and the description of the shape doesn't sound like a nematode. Except for some endoparasites, most max out at ~1-2 mm in length and generally don't have any kind of branching structures.
I did another tank clean but they haven't appeared again! I will keep an eye out and if they make another appearance I will try and get a better picture.

While doing maintenance again the other day I noticed some spiral shapes on a piece of rock that came with my purple fuzzy mushroom attached. I dipped it before adding it to the tank but these were definitely not on it back then! (Got it about 5/6 wks ago) They were hard spiral shaped and the ends stuck up a little. Dark in colour. Unfortunately I didnt get any pics as i panicked thinking Vermetid snails so I scooped the rock and coral out into another bowl with tank water in and got as many off as I could see. Do these sound like vermetid to you at all? Thanks

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did another tank clean but they haven't appeared again! I will keep an eye out and if they make another appearance I will try and get a better picture.

While doing maintenance again the other day I noticed some spiral shapes on a piece of rock that came with my purple fuzzy mushroom attached. I dipped it before adding it to the tank but these were definitely not on it back then! (Got it about 5/6 wks ago) They were hard spiral shaped and the ends stuck up a little. Dark in colour. Unfortunately I didnt get any pics as i panicked thinking Vermetid snails so I scooped the rock and coral out into another bowl with tank water in and got as many off as I could see. Do these sound like vermetid to you at all? Thanks
Yep, that sounds like vermetids. They aren't the end of the world though..

OP
OP
safi

safi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that sounds like vermetids. They aren't the end of the world though..
Keep seeing posts online saying they multiply like mad and can take over. Apart from manual removal is there any other suggestions to get rid of them? At the moment I could only see them on the small isolated rock the coral is on so I was able to remove most (not sure if i got them all) but if they spread to the larger pieces of rock then thats going to be more difficult.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep seeing posts online saying they multiply like mad and can take over. Apart from manual removal is there any other suggestions to get rid of them? At the moment I could only see them on the small isolated rock the coral is on so I was able to remove most (not sure if i got them all) but if they spread to the larger pieces of rock then thats going to be more difficult.
They definitely can multiply quickly, but again, that's not really a big deal. Some varieties throw out relatively large mucus nets to capture food, but there are others that rarely do anything.
Stir up your sand a little so there's some particulate in the water and see if you notice any webs coming from the tubes.
Some coral can be irritated by the webs but unless they are touching a coral, they are still not a problem and will help clean your water just like other filter feeders.

Last edited:
OP
OP
safi

safi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely can multiply quickly, but again, that's not really a big deal. Some varieties throw out relatively large mucus nets to capture food, but there are others that rarely do anything.
Stir up your sand a little so there's some particulate in the water and see if you notice any webs coming from the tubes.
Some coral can be irritated by the webs but unless they are touching a coral, they are still not a problem and will help clean your water just like other filter feeders.
Stirred the sand yesterday whilst doing maintenance/water change etc but didn’t notice any mucus/webbing of any kind. I’ll keep an eye out for them and see how it goes. You have put my mind at ease a bit more though with what you’ve said so thank you.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stirred the sand yesterday whilst doing maintenance/water change etc but didn’t notice any mucus/webbing of any kind. I’ll keep an eye out for them and see how it goes. You have put my mind at ease a bit more though with what you’ve said so thank you.
Honestly, the worst thing about them IMO is that some rocks can get hard to pick up... have some rock from a tank breakdown that had so many (apparently unoccupied) vermetid tubes that it was like picking up a pine cone, lol. (But this was a rock that spent a long time in a very neglected tank... still nothing to worry about for most people)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back