ID on this worm?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this worm in my tank. Never seen one like it before. It’s clear with translucent speckles that glow under light. Everything in the tank was either dry or came from my other tank of 20+ years. Kind of surprised I’ve never seen this thing before. It’s pretty scary, it’s mouth looks like a demigorgon from stranger things.
thanks!

3AB1FCDE-53E0-4B12-A0BB-875055B0DBAB.jpeg CB1F7754-9FC4-4634-A0E5-C14458160577.jpeg D2DE9307-C97A-469D-96AE-B5ECE5C1EDB7.jpeg B46CC0A0-656A-46C9-8568-9BD8233D4AEC.jpeg

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worm lacks any resemblance of a bristle worm. It’s body is completely flat with internal things that glisten. The worm came from a tank that hasn’t had anything added in over 5 years, the tank itself is 25+ years, the fact I never noticed it in there is surprising and makes me think there aren’t many. I thought about plucking it for a few and didn’t. If I didn’t see it for 25 years it’ll probably we a while til I have the chance again

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worm lacks any resemblance of a bristle worm. It’s body is completely flat with internal things that glisten. The worm came from a tank that hasn’t had anything added in over 5 years, the tank itself is 25+ years, the fact I never noticed it in there is surprising and makes me think there aren’t many. I thought about plucking it for a few and didn’t. If I didn’t see it for 25 years it’ll probably we a while til I have the chance again
They eat fish unless you don’t have anything too small should be ok? The can get massive 5 feet long +

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its a hydroid. They filter feed and are capable of stinging nearby coral , but not a sting like an aptasia. Preventing food from reaching them will starve them and rid of them. You can also place a dab of super glue gel over their opening .

messytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a hydroid. They filter feed and are capable of stinging nearby coral , but not a sting like an aptasia. Preventing food from reaching them will starve them and rid of them. You can also place a dab of super glue gel over their opening .

It's a moving worm. Where's the hydroid? :)

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was flying all over the tank this morning when I turned the pumps on lol. I left flow off all night and that’s probably what brought him out.
Not sure it was a hydroid, it was pretty thicc
Looks similar to a Medusa worm, odd coloration though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh lordy. . . Im looking at the wrong thing- Medusa yes and this worm is reef safe.
The Medusa Worm is actually a type of sea cucumber in which their skin is made up of sticky skin cells that allow it to stick to most surfaces. Medusa Worms are tan or green in color and are beneficial tank mates who help keep things clean and are particle feeders that do not require special feeding.
Caution should be exercised when housing Medusa Worms as they can secrete a deadly toxin if stressed out or injured and they are fast growers and can grow quite large.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh lordy. . . Im looking at the wrong thing- Medusa yes and this worm is reef safe.
The Medusa Worm is actually a type of sea cucumber in which their skin is made up of sticky skin cells that allow it to stick to most surfaces. Medusa Worms are tan or green in color and are beneficial tank mates who help keep things clean and are particle feeders that do not require special feeding.
Caution should be exercised when housing Medusa Worms as they can secrete a deadly toxin if stressed out or injured and they are fast growers and can grow quite large.
Cool, I never knew they were cucumbers lol I learn something new every day.

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty worried at the moment as 30 red bubble tips are about to into that tank. Can someone explain more about this toxin that can be released. The worms previous home was a very peaceful aquarium, this is not. Being in a Predator tank it’s probably just a matter of time until something happens. There are fish in there I do not want to lose and quite a few bubble tips already.

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest about a week ago I remember something that looked really weird stuck to the glass.... I read they grow fast but wow. The pic was one week ago.

83400F11-8CA7-4220-A51F-A57167C1526C.jpeg
same little demigorgon looking mouth..

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back