ID parasites?

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are these red things growing on the rocks? Also I have bristle worms, and these small flea looking things crawling around the rocks. What could those be?
586a551bbf97e854c8f391f30af44058.heic

Chefbill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with bristle worms. They're harmless detritivors. The flea like things are pods. Again, most species are harmless and provide free fish food (the only food for some fish).

OP
OP
kasik64

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I have significantly cut back feeding over the last month and no changes. May have to rethink feeding techniques. The stars haven’t seemed to cause any harm. I will try my best not to transfer them to my new tank. And of course it didn’t even dawn on me til I really thought about it that those were pods. I have added pods in the past for a dragonet I had that passed away. No one to eat them. Are the feather dusters harmless? I assume so. I have another little blue one growing on the other side of the tank. Must have came with something I added and has grown.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I have significantly cut back feeding over the last month and no changes. May have to rethink feeding techniques. The stars haven’t seemed to cause any harm. I will try my best not to transfer them to my new tank. And of course it didn’t even dawn on me til I really thought about it that those were pods. I have added pods in the past for a dragonet I had that passed away. No one to eat them. Are the feather dusters harmless? I assume so. I have another little blue one growing on the other side of the tank. Must have came with something I added and has grown.
Feather dusters are harmless. It is just a worm in a soft mucus casing. Sometimes they will pop their filter feeding feathers off and lose the casing and look like a blackish brown earthworm that is looking to regrow.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those feather dusters actually live in a calcareous tube, similar to a snails shell, good score! You can see the white calcium carbonate tube on some of them in your photo.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back