ID Please! Dark gray slug on cynarina

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday evening, I noticed my cynarina not acting quite normal... mind you, this is a large cynarina with a fairly wide skirt (that's what my wife calls it). It sits in the sand bed and has since day one; Routinely open wide and happy as can be. Yesterday, it was retracted on one side and not so happy...
This guy has been in my tank for 4 months and was dipped prior to going into DT. These were not there then, that I can assure you!

Pulled it to dip and noticed 2 gray like slugs on the skeleton. They didn't move when poked and were quite stuck to the skeleton.
First dip was Coral Rx, second in iodine.
I managed to get them off the skeleton and it appeared as if they were "digging in". They weren't difficult to remove, kind of squishy, but wouldn't come off in one piece.
I took pics while in the dip, but not after. For an after shot, just imagine them not there and some superficial skeleton eroded ;)
First pic is the coral normally, fully open and happy for reference.
unnamed.jpg

Anyone have any idea what these are?

IMG-1241.jpg
IMG-1242.jpg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would say a sponge as well, have you tried to remove it with a knife? or any after pics from removing them

OP
OP
jassermd

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed them both with a scalpel. Forgot to take pics after, but they were stuck quite well and some skeleton (<1mm depth) underneath them was exposed (typical CaCO3 matrix)
Dips did not do anything to them, hence the scalpel... When in doubt, take it out!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed, good move. If it comes back after using the scalpel maybe dry the area and dab with a bit of hydrogen peroxide using a qtip, to try to kill what ever it is for good.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back