ID please

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully the pic is clear enough. This one is attached to the snails she'll just below the rack. I've seen a few of these while checking my tank with a flashlight at night. It's like a long feathery tentacle and seems to retract if I hold the light on it. Just want to know if I should be concerned or leave them be. If they need to go what's the best way to remove? Thanks in advance!

IMG_6240.JPG

IMG_6241.JPG

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digitate hydroid, if on easy to remove rocks easiest to clean outside the tank. Dont touch them directly, sting like jellyfish. Can upset sps, most of the time they die off as a tank matures.

OP
OP
zack801

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what you need ID but I do see two pyramid snails on large snail on the bottom.
Sorry it's really hard to pick this up in a photo as they're pretty small. The second photo shows it the best. On top of the snails shell that is just under that rack you can see a thin feathery tentacle. That's what I'm trying to id

OP
OP
zack801

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digitate hydroid, if on easy to remove rocks easiest to clean outside the tank. Dont touch them directly, sting like jellyfish. Can upset sps, most of the time they die off as a tank matures.
Thanks Gareth! That's the one I had it narrowed down to. There aren't rocks in This part of the tank just frags and racks. I could take tweezers and pull off what I can. I'm wondering now if some of the red marks on my arms are from these and not getting scratched by vermitted snails lol

OP
OP
zack801

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Digitate hydroid. Now about the pyramid snails. Do you have any clams in your tank? Or have you noticed any of you snails dying?
No clams in this tank it's just a frag tank. No snails dying other than ones that have fallen off the glass or racks and have been eaten by crabs. I usually get the flipped before this. What are pyramid snails and should I be concerned?

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clams in this tank it's just a frag tank. No snails dying other than ones that have fallen off the glass or racks and have been eaten by crabs. I usually get the flipped before this. What are pyramid snails and should I be concerned?
Pyramid snails are predatory to larger snails and clams. They are the size a a grain of rice. Once you have them its hard to get rid of them. We have them. We got them when we bought some snails for our tank and at the time didn't think to check them before we added them. We lost all our big clams that we had for years because of those little monsters. We also lose snails to them every so often. I take our snails out every other day and pick off the pyramids. Best way to get rid of them is to take away their food source. But that also means more algae and cleaning on your end.

OP
OP
zack801

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pyramid snails are predatory to larger snails and clams. They are the size a a grain of rice. Once you have them its hard to get rid of them. We have them. We got them when we bought some snails for our tank and at the time didn't think to check them before we added them. We lost all our big clams that we had for years because of those little monsters. We also lose snails to them every so often. I take our snails out every other day and pick off the pyramids. Best way to get rid of them is to take away their food source. But that also means more algae and cleaning on your end.
Thank you for the reply! I had no idea these things existed or that I had them. I'll keep an eye on them but I don't think they've been killing my snails so far. I'll start picking them off and if it becomes a problem maybe I'll try starving them out for a month and just be extra diligent on keeping the tank clean on my own

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply! I had no idea these things existed or that I had them. I'll keep an eye on them but I don't think they've been killing my snails so far. I'll start picking them off and if it becomes a problem maybe I'll try starving them out for a month and just be extra diligent on keeping the tank clean on my own
You're welcome! If you do end up going the starving out way, it can take up to a year. Especially if you have collonista snails too.

OP
OP
zack801

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've ask on the flatworms before because I wasn't sure. They seem to be leaving my coral alone and are mostly in my sump. My six line in the display is most likely keeping things like this I'm check

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back