ID please

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this is desirable macro but it’s growing like crazy and nothing eats it in that tank, my tanks in different tank eat it.
iD?
9FAFE13F-2011-4001-B7A7-AA3C05CDE212.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I havent seen this in some time but looks like what is known as Dictyota which is an algae that has forked branches which may have an iridescent blue hue. There are tons of species of Dictyota. Generally if it is brown with forked branches, and isn't rigid, its a species also of dictyota. Some species of Dictyota are desirable, you will be able to recognize them as they grow as one plant that branches out from one distinct holdfast similar to a tree trunk effect. If so, removal would be very simple.
Nuisance species of Dictyota, (pretty much all the iridescent species.) stay shorter and creep along the rock. Their branches form straight from the rock. You stated you want it to grow out. If you decide its too much, Take a dental pick or small crochet needle and scrape off every inch of the root you can. Thereafter, add some of the following cleaners to maintain control:
Chjitons, emerald crab, decorator crabs and even pin cushion urchins.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini Caulerpa (Caulerpa brachypus)? You can get it to grow a “lawn” on your sandbed.

Here’s mine:
812E8779-9638-475D-A647-A7005843358A.jpeg
+1 likely Caulerpa brachypus. The threadlike rhizomes are clearly visible. The comment about going sexual is no joke when it comes to Caulerpa. If it starts turning white or developing white dots on its surface, pull it. Aside from the possible nutrient imbalance, the biggest problem is that a large scale sexual event can deplete the tank of oxygen. Especially if you don't notice until the following morning. Just keep it trimmed and keep an eye on it.

Last edited:

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent seen this in some time but looks like what is known as Dictyota which is an algae that has forked branches which may have an iridescent blue hue. There are tons of species of Dictyota. Generally if it is brown with forked branches, and isn't rigid, its a species also of dictyota. Some species of Dictyota are desirable, you will be able to recognize them as they grow as one plant that branches out from one distinct holdfast similar to a tree trunk effect. If so, removal would be very simple.
Nuisance species of Dictyota, (pretty much all the iridescent species.) stay shorter and creep along the rock. Their branches form straight from the rock. You stated you want it to grow out. If you decide its too much, Take a dental pick or small crochet needle and scrape off every inch of the root you can. Thereafter, add some of the following cleaners to maintain control:
Chjitons, emerald crab, decorator crabs and even pin cushion urchins.
OP’s algae is definitely not Dictyota, as it features a prominent rhizome and is not forked (just looks like it since there are so many blades visible). Sticking with Caulerpa brachypus.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 51 53.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back