ID possible mantis?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See these little eyes sticking out of my rock. Guessing its some sort of mantis?

Looks like mantis eyeballs. Lets get some more of our eyeballs on it to confirm :D #reefsquad

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's strange. I'm guessing a type of stomatopod
you-and-your-big-words-and-your-your-small-difficult-words.jpg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are lucky - they are fantastic animals. See here from Wikipedia
Both types strike by rapidly unfolding and swinging their raptorial claws at the prey, and can inflict serious damage on victims significantly greater in size than themselves. In smashers, these two weapons are employed with blinding quickness, with an acceleration of 10,400 g (102,000 m/s2 or 335,000 ft/s2) and speeds of 23 m/s (83 km/h; 51 mph) from a standing start.[10] Because they strike so rapidly, they generate vapor-filled bubbles in the water between the appendage and the striking surface—known as cavitation bubbles.[10] The collapse of these cavitation bubbles produces measurable forces on their prey in addition to the instantaneous forces of 1,500 newtons that are caused by the impact of the appendage against the striking surface, which means that the prey is hit twice by a single strike; first by the claw and then by the collapsing cavitation bubbles that immediately follow.[11] Even if the initial strike misses the prey, the resulting shock wave can be enough to stun or kill.

The impact can also produce sonoluminescence from the collapsing bubble. This will produce a very small amount of light within the collapsing bubble, although the light is too weak and short-lived to be detected without advanced scientific equipment. The light emission probably has no biological significance but is rather a side-effect of the rapid snapping motion. Pistol shrimp produce this effect in a very similar manner.

Smashers use this ability to attack snails, crabs, molluscs, and rock oysters, their blunt clubs enabling them to crack the shells of their prey into pieces. Spearers, on the other hand, prefer the meat of softer animals, like fish, which their barbed claws can more easily slice and snag.

Sincerely Lasse

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta say unless you have an aquatic chameleon, look like a mantis to me. I find that really cool, but not if you have smaller fish or inverts in the system. Although since he is in the rock, probably a smasher so snails and crabs watch out. These guys are so fasinating!!!!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See these little eyes sticking out of my rock. Guessing its some sort of mantis?

It is probably a mantis, the way the eyes move. Only thing is they usually have very smooth looking eyes. I took the liberty of screenshotting the video to brighten up the shadows in an image in Photoshop. Not sure it helped much.

3921903D-6AF0-4849-B4E8-F61E6B3BA526.jpeg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, those eyes are a bit funky for a mantis, maybe it is reflection or something. I know of no other creature that can move the eyes like that though.

Agreed and there are many types. Sometimes they have a translucent covering over funky looking eyes as well that may not have been as clear in the video.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had three smaller species in a tank a few years back and loved them. They became quite bold and would dart out when I fed the tank to snatch up some food. I've wanted to get some for my current tank but they're spendy from TBS after shipping costs. I'm hoping to get some hitchikers when I make a rock purchase for the 150g.

I had haptosquilla trispinosa and they were hands down one of the coolest things I've ever kept. Never messed with anything on the CUC that was more than about 5mm is size. One of them did smash me occasionally when I was in the tank messing with things.

11379922093_c92ad6f78e_h.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 63 79.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back