ID Red Growth / Egg on Coral Base

The Skeptical Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this blasto during World Wide Coral's anniversary sale two weeks ago. After one week I noticed a red egg / growth appear on the base of the coral. The egg / growth in question is round, large enough to stick out from the base of the coral slightly, and has a small white thing protruding from the center of it. A few days ago a second one appeared right next to it.

Does anyone know what this egg / growth is? I can attempt to take better pictures if necessary.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Coral Eggs ID.jpg

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this blasto during World Wide Coral's anniversary sale two weeks ago. After one week I noticed a red egg / growth appear on the base of the coral. The egg / growth in question is round, large enough to stick out from the base of the coral slightly, and has a small white thing protruding from the center of it. A few days ago a second one appeared right next to it.

Does anyone know what this egg / growth is? I can attempt to take better pictures if necessary.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Coral Eggs ID.jpg
It’s going to be difficult to identify from this picture alone. Could you move the blasto closer to the glass and take a picture with your white lights on? Its too blue to identify clearly.

OP
OP
T

The Skeptical Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely looks different this morning. Could it perhaps be a new head growing? I am unfamiliar with the way blastos propagate.

Here are a few more pictures as requested.

Coral ID 2.jpg

Coral ID 3.jpg

Coral ID 4.jpg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like 1 vermetid and 1 feather duster imo, remove them with a butter knife just in case, just crush them and scrape em off

OP
OP
T

The Skeptical Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed them as you suggested @dedragon , but to my surprise they were pretty soft and didn't appear to have a calcified shell. Should I be on the lookout for vermetids? Luckily this coral is still in my quarantine tank.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is a qt so always be on the lookout for anything, but if its a new frag so it might have been the only one.
When in doubt i always just say to remove whatever it is because the chances of it being something beneficial are not nearly as high as it being a pest.

OP
OP
T

The Skeptical Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also picked up this feather duster at the same time. To me, its tube is similar looking to the growth on the blasto today. Is that perhaps what they look like when they are juveniles?

Coral ID 5.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back