[ID request] Clownfish has something on one side close to her gills

Icylder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture attached because I'm not sure what this is at all. Appeared a day or so ago. I've noticed she's been laying down on this one side to rest on the powerhead (is it possibly just a bruise gone white?).

clownfishspot.jpg

OP
OP
Icylder

Icylder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take more pictures later in the evening. These pictures were taken yesterday. I'll try again with the polyp lab lenses. Here's another angle from earlier in case it helps

clownfishspot2.jpg

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fish stuck to a powerhead like that is usually oxygen deprived. Could be due to ammonia burn, a parasitic affliction in the gills, or a weak fish looking or an easy way for additional flow through the gills.

How long have you had the fish?

Did you QT the fish originally?

Any new non QTd additions? Anything wet: corals, inverts, fish, rock, etc.

OP
OP
Icylder

Icylder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fish stuck to a powerhead like that is usually oxygen deprived. Could be due to ammonia burn, a parasitic affliction in the gills, or a weak fish looking or an easy way for additional flow through the gills.

How long have you had the fish?

Did you QT the fish originally?

Any new non QTd additions? Anything wet: corals, inverts, fish, rock, etc.

I got the fish in January so just over three months now. I put them through quarantine together as in my build thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/icys-reef-my-very-first-saltwater-tank.555287/#post-5743532

No new non QTd additions in terms of fish. I don’t QT on my coral. I usually acclimate with temp then drip then dip and add to my display tank.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read that brook has a slimy/whispy look to it. This looks more like raised speckles that’s in a curly line and colored white.
Brook begins with several small velvet-esque spots that tend to appear most around the front of the dorsal fin and that region of the fish before the velvety appearance.

I do agree, I don't see any brook or velvet definitively in the photos, although they are not the clearest.

It could be a sting on the fish, or an infection (or both, actually). If the fish is stuck to a powerhead, it's unfortunately not going to make it most likely anyway. This happens when they're too weak to avoid.

I think what @HotRocks meant was that on a powerhead they may struggle to get oxygen and die quickly there (oxygen may not travel through the gills well based on the pressure, depending on the direction the fish "lands" on the powerhead.)

OP
OP
Icylder

Icylder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brook begins with several small velvet-esque spots that tend to appear most around the front of the dorsal fin and that region of the fish before the velvety appearance.

I do agree, I don't see any brook or velvet definitively in the photos, although they are not the clearest.

It could be a sting on the fish, or an infection (or both, actually). If the fish is stuck to a powerhead, it's unfortunately not going to make it most likely anyway. This happens when they're too weak to avoid.

I think what @HotRocks meant was that on a powerhead they may struggle to get oxygen and die quickly there (oxygen may not travel through the gills well based on the pressure, depending on the direction the fish "lands" on the powerhead.)

Hmm, I wouldn’t say she’s ‘stuck’ to the powerhead. She’ll occasionally swim there and perch sideways. And if I walk up to the tank will promptly swim right to the top and ‘beg’ for food lol. They always sleep together at the top of the tank at night if that’s useful?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I wouldn’t say she’s ‘stuck’ to the powerhead. She’ll occasionally swim there and perch sideways. And if I walk up to the tank will promptly swim right to the top and ‘beg’ for food lol. They always sleep together at the top of the tank at night if that’s useful?

I agree with above, this is abnormal behavior and the powerhead may be serving a purpose for the fish.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back