ID requested: Beige root-like growths

brwaldbaum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20201011_122735367.jpg
IMG_20201011_122934212.jpg

Can anyone ID? They appear beige under my lighting, which consists of 4000K and 5000K LEDs.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you let us know, how old is the tank, is it fully cycled and what are your water specs Please?
Mainly: Phosphates, Nitrite, Nitrate, and the rest you can check Please?

OP
OP
brwaldbaum

brwaldbaum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you let us know, how old is the tank, is it fully cycled and what are your water specs Please?
Mainly: Phosphates, Nitrite, Nitrate, and the rest you can check Please?
The tank was set up in March, but some of the bio-media comes from a smaller tank that had been going for 2.5 years. The fish were moved from that older tank into this new, larger tank in March. No NH3, NO3 < 5ppm, PO4 < 1ppm. (My test kits don't measure lower than that.)

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was set up in March, but some of the bio-media comes from a smaller tank that had been going for 2.5 years. The fish were moved from that older tank into this new, larger tank in March. No NH3, NO3 < 5ppm, PO4 < 1ppm. (My test kits don't measure lower than that.)
But this parameters are detectable ? Only NH3-0 ? Isn't that bad, do you have sump with macro algae. like Cheato Morpha? And what's your lights, setup ( in % per channel if can) and how many hours they are on during the day ?

OP
OP
brwaldbaum

brwaldbaum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But this parameters are detectable ? Only NH3-0 ? Isn't that bad, do you have sump with macro algae. like Cheato Morpha? And what's your lights, setup ( in % per channel if can) and how many hours they are on during the day ?
The display is full of Ulva; there's no sump/refugium. I add a pinch of NO3 weekly to keep the Ulva from turning pale. Lights are screw-in LEDs from Home Depot, on at 9AM, off at 10PM.

Any idea on the ID?

DanConnor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's either some kind of macroalgae, or some kind of sponge. Sponges can be kind of thread like, but that doesn't really look right. Let it grow and see what it turns in to!

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The display is full of Ulva; there's no sump/refugium. I add a pinch of NO3 weekly to keep the Ulva from turning pale. Lights are screw-in LEDs from Home Depot, on at 9AM, off at 10PM.

Any idea on the ID?
I see, can you tel where do you got he Ulva from? The ocean, or you bought it ? And like I understand you are been dosing NO3 because of it, is there fish or any other invertebrates, or the setup is just new?
The light which you have probably aren't enough if the algae you have at the moment is dying (like @flamptontold you).
Just in case if you got the Macro algae from the ocean with ocean water probably you introduce and the other one.
Can you post photo in what condition is the Ulva? it really need good light usually.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW looking back, I was collecting and had tank with Ulva for a while. when I just light it up for over 10h, appear green like your stringy algae, which actually wasn't algae in my case, it was green cyano algae. It start to overtake the tank with the Ulva. Try to pull out some amount of it, and tell is it a bit hard to cut it or it's very easy ? It's similar like sawing thread. And iv you catch by hand many of it it's coming like it's rooted in the LR ?

OP
OP
brwaldbaum

brwaldbaum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, can you tel where do you got he Ulva from? The ocean, or you bought it ? And like I understand you are been dosing NO3 because of it, is there fish or any other invertebrates, or the setup is just new?
The light which you have probably aren't enough if the algae you have at the moment is dying (like @flamptontold you).
Just in case if you got the Macro algae from the ocean with ocean water probably you introduce and the other one.
Can you post photo in what condition is the Ulva? it really need good light usually.
IMG_20201011_223856253.jpg

The Ulva is growing over the surface of the tank and has spread to the rest of the tank. It began growing about two months after I started feeding my fish this:
Screenshot_20201011-224559.png

OP
OP
brwaldbaum

brwaldbaum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW looking back, I was collecting and had tank with Ulva for a while. when I just light it up for over 10h, appear green like your stringy algae, which actually wasn't algae in my case, it was green cyano algae. It start to overtake the tank with the Ulva. Try to pull out some amount of it, and tell is it a bit hard to cut it or it's very easy ? It's similar like sawing thread. And iv you catch by hand many of it it's coming like it's rooted in the LR ?
If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll grab some out.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check is long like sawing thread, that's the main, but on the 1st photo it look like the one I got, which isn't good.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back