ID: Spionid worms? How do I get rid of them?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am desperately seeking a solution for my spionid worm issue as well. I’m convinced they are irritating my zoas and not allowing them to fully open. I’ve scoured the net and no one has any reliable solutions. Please update this thread if you come up with anything.
I just did a bayer dip on my rastas for the same reason. Iodine dips didn’t do a thing except make it/them laugh at me. Did a 15 minute dip in bayer and I think I got the last laugh! I saw what looked like 2 dead worms at the bottom of the container.

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got them on your rock work then there is no point stressing about it, because by that time there will be nothing you can do.
After having them in my DT for close to 3 years I found them to be absolutely harmless.
They do no kill corals! It is a pest, but not parasite.
Yes on some corals they will penetrate the base and pope there ugly heads, but if coral is healthy it won't matter.
Coral dipping works, but should only be done as a last resort if numbers are very large. Why =because they will repopulate again at some point.
As a full DT treatment only Melbacym Oxime apparently works. In US its called interceptor.
I did get hold of some Melbmax, but I have 1000s of $$$ of coral and not about to risk it just to get rid of spinoid worms.
Finally when I was dosing phytoplankton/reefroids there numbers exploded and they where everywhere. I stopped that, installed filter roller and only feed pellets once a day. This is the only way to keep them in check. Now I see them, but they are dormant and aren't multiplying.
Since doing that my corals reacted really well because there was stability & nutrient levels are in check and water is crystal clear . So win win.

To summarise no matter what you have in your reeftank unless it's killing your coral I.e parasite, don't do the same thing I did and stress about it losing sleep. Corals will be fine just give them time.

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a bayer dip on my rastas for the same reason. Iodine dips didn’t do a thing except make it/them laugh at me. Did a 15 minute dip in bayer and I think I got the last laugh! I saw what looked like 2 dead worms at the bottom of the container.

I just wonder, did you find any to be back again after bayer dip? I'm debating myself should I perform bayer dip or not.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wonder, did you find any to be back again after bayer dip? I'm debating myself should I perform bayer dip or not.
I haven’t but I can’t say for sure it because of the dip.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having them in my DT for close to 3 years I found them to be absolutely harmless.
They do no kill corals! It is a pest, but not parasite.

I disagree. They stunt smaller frags bad and also mini colonies. I have video to prove that. I’ve seen it over and over now in different YouTube videos. Larger colonies are less affected. It also depends if they’re just at the base (minimal issues) or inside the actual coral skeleton itself (major damage over time).

IMG_6101.png
IMG_1214.jpeg
IMG_1215.jpeg
IMG_0954.jpeg
IMG_0303.jpeg
IMG_8851.jpeg
IMG_8702.jpeg
IMG_8700.jpeg
IMG_8637.png
IMG_8611.jpeg

IMG_0950.jpeg

The good news is that 1% Ivermectin works well as a dip. About 6 drops via 1mL syringe to 473mL tank water for 45 min to 1 hour smokes them. Temp control is recommended for long dips. I would nuke them in the tank, but I’m pretty sure they will be significant die off which may cause a mini cycle or ammonia spike. The dip appears to be very gentle on Acro’s. I’ve done a few now with no issues or death. The two Acro’s have much better PE. I dipped a Walt Disney and Oregon Blue Tort.

IMG_1290.jpeg

Bayer at normal dose = Fail
KCI = Fail
Coral Rx Pro = Fail
Exodus = Fail
Revive = Fail

Ivermectin (1%) = Win! See dose above.
Interceptor = Win!

A fish vet recommended 75mg per 30/gallons. I suspect this may be a little potent. Working out the dose now. Still doing some research. Also working with a Coral Farmer who just nuked them (in a QT) with Interceptor-Plus which contains both “Milbemycin Oxime” and “Praziquantel.” We think the Milbemycin Oxime is all that’s needed.

The problem is that some of these medications have poor solubility and are difficult and expensive to obtain in the US and other countries. Ivermectin definitely needs to be liquid form. The pill form isn’t soluble at all. Milbemycin Oxime appears to be the same, but I’m unsure, because I haven’t got my hands on it yet.

I’ll try to update this thread and my YouTube channel with safe recommended dose, and any results/effects after the Interceptor dip. I’ll tell you what died, anything affected, Alk swing, Nutrient swing, etc. Hopefully I get it worked out soon. Still taking with several Veteran’s, Farmers, etc. I’m about 99% Acropora, so I’m very cautious to do anything dangerous. I know multiple reefers that have used the classic Interceptor for Red Bugs without many issues even with systems full of Acro’s, so that makes me less worried, but it’s still a risk.

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vayssierea felis nudibranch eats them, i have them in my tank i got them from something i put in the tank as a hitvhhiker now theres dozens of them and they actively eat spinoid worms

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vayssierea felis nudibranch eats them, i have them in my tank i got them from something i put in the tank as a hitvhhiker now theres dozens of them and they actively eat spinoid worms
You're thinking Spirorbid worms - Spionids are different.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tore down my tank once over these. They killed everything. I am so completely paranoid now I am setting up a little coral QT before anything goes in the main display. That way I can kill all these little ***** before they ruin my WHOLE LIFE. Just kidding. Being dramatic. I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner actually.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back